Academic Coordinator IINutrition Policy Institute (NPI)
1111 Franklin Street
Oakland, CA 94607
Specialtyprogram and policy evaluation, SNAP-Ed
- Kao, Janice; Woodward-Lopez, Gail (2023). Lessons Learned from a Food Hub-Based Retail Intervention That Expanded Reach and Sales of Fresh Fruits and Vegetables in Low-Income, Low-Access Neighborhoods. Journal of Hunger & Environmental Nutrition.
- Rider, Carolyn D; Kao, Janice (2022). Validity and Reliability of a Site-Level Assessment Questionnaire to Assess Nutrition and Physical Activity Practices in Schools. Childhood Obesity. 18:6, 383-398.
- Hewawitharana, S. C. (2021). Method for Scoring Dose of Multicomponent Interventions: A Building Block for Future Evaluations. American Journal of Evaluation. 43:2. October 21, 2021.
- Rider, Carolyn; Linares, Amanda (2020). Assessing Healthful Eating and Physical Activity Practices in Places Children Learn. Journal of Extension. 58:6. December. https://www.joe.org/joe/2020december/pdf/JOE_v58_6tt5.pdf
- Thompson, Hannah; Hewawitharana, Sridharshi (2020). SNAP-Ed physical activity interventions in low-income schools are associated with greater cardiovascular fitness among 5th and 7th grade students in California. Preventive Medicine Reports. 20. September. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmedr.2020.101222
- Au, Lauren E.; Ritchie, Lorrene D. (2019). Post–Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act Adherence to Select School Nutrition Standards by Region and Poverty Level: The Healthy Communities Study. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2019.10.016
- Woodward-Lopez, G.; Kao, J. (2018). "Changes in Consumer Purchases in Stores Participating in an Obesity Prevention Initiative." American Journal of Preventive Medicine 54(5)
- Woodward-Lopez, G.; Kao, J. (2018). "Changes in Nutrition Policies and Dietary Intake in Child Care Homes Participating in Healthy Eating and Active Living Initiative." American Journal of Preventive Medicine 54(5)
- Woodward-Lopez, G.; Gosliner, W. (2018). "Community characteristics modify the relationship between obesity prevention efforts and dietary intake in children: the Healthy Communities Study." Pediatric Obesity 13: 46-55.
- Kao, J.; Woodward-Lopez, G. (2018). "Improvements in Physical Activity Opportunities: Results From a Community-Based Family Child Care Intervention." American Journal of Preventive Medicine 54(5)
- Webb, K. L.; Hewawitharana, S. C. (2018). "Objectives of community policies and programs associated with more healthful dietary intakes among children: findings from the Healthy Communities Study." Pediatric Obesity 13: 103-112.
- Au, Lauren E.; Crawford, Patricia B. (2018). "School Wellness Committees Are Associated With Lower Body Mass Index Z-Scores and Improved Dietary Intakes in US Children: The Healthy Communities Study." Journal of School Health 88(9): 627-635.
- Kao, Janice; Chakrabarti, Trisha (2017). Evaluation of a local healthy retail initiative: The Mandela MarketPlace Health and Wealth Net. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting. Atlanta, GA. November 2017.
- Ritchie, Lorrene D.; Wakimoto, Patricia (2015). "The healthy communities study nutrition assessments: Child diet and the school nutrition environment." American Journal of Preventive Medicine 49(4): 647-652.
- Woodward-Lopez, Gail; Kao, Janice (2014). "Is scratch-cooking a cost-effective way to prepare healthy school meals with US Department of Agriculture foods?" Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics 114(9): 1349-1358.
- Peart, Tasha; Kao, Janice (2012). "Does competitive food and beverage legislation hurt meal participation or revenues in high schools?" Childhood obesity (Print) 8(4): 339-46.
- Woodward-Lopez, G.; Gosliner, W. (2011). "Erratum: Lessons learned from evaluations of California's statewide school nutrition standards (American Journal of Public Health (2010) 100:11 (2137-2145) DOI: 10.2105/AJPH.2010.193490)." American Journal of Public Health 101(10)
- Woodward-Lopez, Gail; Gosliner, Wendi (2010). "Lessons learned from evaluations of California's statewide school nutrition standards." American Journal of Public Health 100(11): 2137-45.
- Woodward-Lopez, Gail; Kao, Janice (2010). "To what extent have sweetened beverages contributed to the obesity epidemic?" Public Health Nutrition(10): 1-11.
- Samuels, Sarah E.; Bullock, Sally Lawrence (2009). "To what extent have high schools in California been able to implement state-mandated nutrition standards?" The Journal of Adolescent Health 45(3 Suppl): S38-44.