Margaret G. Lloyd
70 Cottonwood St
Woodland, CA 95695
Capitol Corridor MCP
Margaret received her PhD from UC Davis in Plant Pathology, 2015. Under Tom Gordon, she researched non-chemical alternatives to soilborne disease management in strawberries. She focused on the role of legume rotation crops in Verticiliium dahliae management, the effect of 4 different composts on strawberry production, and a social study understanding the level of adoption of soilborne disease management tools among producers. She also received a masters in International Agricultural Development and Plant Pathology from UC Davis. While at UC Davis, she established the Salad Bowl Garden, an edible garden at the entrance to the Plant and Environmental Sciences (PES) building on the main campus.
Her first agricultural job was as a farm hand on a vineyard in the Santa Cruz mountains in California. It was such an inspiration that she redirected her course of work towards agriculture. After completing her undergraduate degree from Tufts University, she worked on a mixed vegetable farm in Hawaii for 9 months and then returned to start an apprenticeship with John Jeavons in Willits, CA. For three years, she lived and studied at the research farm which was off-the-grid, and farmed the 5-acre mixed vegetable farm, selling weekly at the Willits farmers market. Seeing the opportunity for Biointensive practices in the urban and suburban landscapes, she started a small Bay Area business called Home Farming International which provided workshops and one-on-one training in closed-system, complete diet farming.
Margaret's hobbies include her goats, guitar, garden, two children and simple living.
- Outstanding Education Materials Award: Outstanding Leaflet
Presented by American Society for Horticultural Science, 2019
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Goats and Goat Products
- Vegetable Crops
- Beans, Fresh / Processed
- Bell Peppers
- Vegetable Crops - General
- Corn, Sweet
- Potatoes, Irish
- Potatoes, Sweet
- Vegetable Crops - Other
- Soil and Land - General
- Plant Management Systems
- Plant Protection
- Insects, Mites, and Other Arthropods Affecting Plants
- Pathogens and Nematodes Affecting Plants
- Weeds Affecting Plants
- Vertebrates, Mollusks, and Other (Non Arthropod, Pathogen, Nematode, Weed) Pests
- Biological Control of Pests Affecting Plants
- Integrated Pest Management Systems
- Beneficial Insects
- Appraisal of Soil Resources
- Soil, Plant, Water, Nutrient Relationships
- Small Farms
- Sustainable Food Systems
- Geisseler, D.; Vazquez, M. (2022). Effect of grafting and cover crop quality on nitrogen uptake from different pools by drip irrigated heirloom tomatoes in an open field trial. Journal of Plant Nutrition.
- Lloyd, Margaret; Geisseler, D (2022). Estimating Nitrogen Availability in Organic Annual Production For N budgeting and other purposes. UCANR 8000.S. Light. University of California. 8712, 39.
- Lazicki, P.; Geisseler, D. (2022). Nitrogen Accumulation and Partitioning in Field-Grown Heirloom Tomato Cultivar ‘Brandywine’. Scientia Horticulturae.
- Lloyd, Margaret; Baldwin, R (2021). Burrowing Rodents: Developing a Management Plan for Organic Agriculture in California. UCANR 8688. 15.
- Vinchesi-Vahl, A; Ramirez Bonilla, J (2020). Cucumber beetle management in fresh-market melons. CAPCA Advisor Magazine. Vol 23, 60-68. October.
- Lazicki, P.; Geisseler, D. (2020). Nitrogen mineralization from organic amendments is variable but predictable. Journal of Environmental Quality. https://acsess.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jeq2.20030. 49, 483-495. Mar-Apr.
- Lloyd, Margaret; Gordon, Thomas (2019). Cryptic infection and systemic colonization of leguminous crops by Verticillium dahliae, the cause of Verticillium wilt. Plant Disease. 103:12, 3166-3171. December.
- Lloyd, Margaret; Kluepfel, Daniel (2016). "Evaluation of Four Commercial Composts on Strawberry Plant Productivity and Soil Characteristics in California." International Journal of Fruit Science
- Members, Sustainable Pest Management Work Group and Urban Subgroup (2023). Accelerating SUSTAINABLE PEST MANAGEMENT: A Roadmap for California. Department of Pesticide Regulationo. 1-97. January. https://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/sustainable_pest_management_roadmap/spm_roadmap.pdf
- Lloyd, Margaret; Baldwin, Roger (2022). Burrowing rodents: Developing a management plan for organic agriculture in California. Progressive Crop Consultant. 7:2, 34-41. March/April. https://issuu.com/myaglife/docs/pcc_march_april_2022_e?fr=sZTA2ZTQ2MDQ1NzA
- Light, Sarah; Lloyd, Margaret (2022). Estimated costs for a winter cover crop in an annual crop rotation, Lower Sacramento valley. UCCE Agricultural and Resource Economics, UC Davis. 1-9. https://coststudyfiles.ucdavis.edu/uploads/pub/2022/09/28/2022covercropsbenefits.pdf
- Lloyd, Margaret; Geisseler, Daniel (2021). How Much Nitrogen Can You Expect from Organic Fertilizers and Compost? Organic Farmer. JCS Marketing. March 31. https://organicfarmermag.com/2021/03/how-much-n-can-you-expect-from-organic-fertilizers-and-compost/
- International Rescue Committee, Margaret Lloyd and Fam Fin Lee (2021). On-Farm Food Safety (in Iu Mien). 6 videos. Topics: Chemical safety, agricultural water, worker training on health and hygiene, land use and animals, biological soil amendments and Equipment.
- Lloyd, Margaret; Lovell, Emily (2020). LOYAL MANURE SPREADER, Model MS23B,Equipment Rental Instructional Video. September 1.
- Lloyd, Margaret; Smith, Evelyn (2019). An Abbreviated Guide to Soil Solarization. 1-2.
- Lloyd, M; Schmidt, Li (2019). Beginning Farmer Guide: Navigating Regulations. 1-17.
- Lloyd, M. (2019). Cover crop Pictorial Guide. 1-3.
- Hoffman, Oren; Jarvis-Shean, Katherine (2019). Frontiers in Farming: Avocado, Hops, Raspberry, Mulberry, Blueberry. 12/15/2019.
- M., Lloyd; Lazicki, P. (2019). Nitrogen Dynamics in Organic Heirloom Tomatoes. Video. https://video.ucdavis.edu/media/Nitrogen+Dynamics+in+Field-Grown+Organic+Heirloom+Tomatoes/0_4wl67ahi
- Lloyd, Margaret; Lazicki, Patricia (2019). Nitrogen Dynamics in Organic Heirloom Tomatoes. Leaflet, 1-2.
- Lloyd, M.; Lovell, E. (2019). Northern California Compost Buyers Guide. 1-6.
- Lloyd, M.; Thompson, M (2019). Supplies Resource Guide for Beginning Farmers in Sacramento, Solano, and Yolo Counties. 1-9.
- Madison, Mike (2019). Tractors 101 For Small-Scale and Beginning Farmers.M. Lloyd. 1-14.
- Lloyd, M.; Roncoroni, J. (2019). Weed ID and Management on Sacramento County Strawberry Farms. 1-20.
- Lloyd, Margaret; Swett, Cassandra (2018). Bacterial Wilt and Canker in Field-Grown Organic Tomatoes in California Clavibacter michiganensis subspecies michiganensis (Cmm). Woodland, CA. 2.
- Lloyd, Margaret (2018). Bacterial Wilt and Canker of Field-Grown Tomatoes, Clavibacter michiganensis subspecies michiganensis (Cmm).D. Coaker and C. Swett. Small Farms Blog. 8/8/2018.
- Lloyd, Margaret; Grettenberger, Ian (2018). Bagrada Bug, Bagrada hilaris: Organic Management in Yolo County. 2.
- Dahlquist-Willard, Ruth; Lloyd, Margaret (2018). Enhancing Campus-County Collaborations at University of California (UC). 2.
- Lloyd, Margaret (2018). Large flea beetles are abundant this spring and may surprise you.R. Long. Small Farms Blog. 6/20/2018.
- Lloyd, Margaret (2018). Many organic soil amendments provide nitrogen, but when is that nitrogen plant-available?D. Geisseler and P. Lazicki. 3/12/2018.
- Lloyd, M. (2018). SOUTHERN BLIGHT, Southern stem blight, White mold Sclerotium rolfsii. 1-3.
- Lloyd, Margaret (2018). Your Nitrogen Budget: Contributions from a Legume Cover Crop.R. Long.
- Lloyd, Margaret (2016). Fusarium Crown and Foot Rot of Squash and Pumpkin: Fusarium solani f. sp. cucurbitae Race 1.L. Epstein. 4.
- Lloyd, Margaret; Gordon, Tom (2016). "Growing for the future: Collective action, land stewardship and soilborne pathogens in California strawberry production." 70(3): 101-103.
- Lloyd, Margaret (2016). Selecting Legume Cover Crops When Managing Verticillium Wilt.T. Gordon.
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Plant Pathology - Chair
- Small Farm - Chair
- Agriculture and Nature Tourism - Member
- Agroecology and Organic Farming Systems - Member
- Urban Agriculture - Member
- Vegetable Crops - Member
- Warm Season Vegetables - Member
- Weed - Member