4-H & Families
UC President Mark Yudof has issued a letter to the UC community announcing that the Regents declared an extreme financial emergency for UC and approved the proposal Yudof shared for a one-year systemwide furlough plan, effective Sept. 1, 2009. Read the letter here.
VP Dan Dooley presented the ANR Strategic Vision to the UC Regents on July 15. To view his PowerPoint presentation, go to http://ucanr.org/StratVision7-09.ppt and then select open. (Click slide to advance the presentation.) To download, select save instead of open.
Today, during UCOP’s regular First Friday breakfast buffet in the lobby,
One woman said she printed out the pest control recommendations from the IPM kiosk, then e-mailed the IPM Web address to all of her friends.
The feedback from our UCOP colleagues on the ANR banners has been overwhelming positive.
UCOP - Farm Workers + Food Security
UCOP - Water + Land Use
We're reusing the banners from the ANR Statewide Conference. By hanging them in the UC Office of the President lobby, we hope to educate our coworkers about what ANR does. Karey Windbiel-Rojas of IPM also let us borrow a kiosk, which people are using.
UCOP security wall
ANR has formed the UC Animal Welfare Advisory Council, which is comprised of veterinarians, animal science professionals, and other experts from the University of California system, the California State University system, Colorado State University and the private sector.
The group will review issues of animal welfare related to agriculture and make science-based recommendations to improve the welfare of livestock and poultry.
Members of the council are as follows:
- Daniel M. Dooley (chair), UC Vice President for Agriculture and Natural Resources, Oakland
- Bennie Osburn (vice chair), Dean, School of Veterinary Medicine, UC Davis
- Alex Ardans, Professor Emeritus, School of Veterinary Medicine, UC Davis
- Richard Breitmeyer, State Veterinarian, California Department of Food and Agriculture, Sacramento
- Dave Daley, Professor, College of Agriculture, California State University, Chico
- Ron Faoro, Veterinarian and Past President of the California Veterinary Medical Association, Sacramento
- Temple Grandin, Professor of Animal Science, Colorado State University, Fort Collins
- Dave McCrystal, Veterinarian, Chair of Executive Board, American Veterinary Medical Association, Schaumburg, Ill.
- Joy Mench, Professor, Department of Animal Science, UC Davis
- Jim Reynolds, Veterinarian, School of Veterinary Medicine, UC Davis, and Chair of the American Veterinary Medical Association Animal Welfare Committee
- Andrew Thulin, Head, Department of Animal Science, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- Neal Van Alfen, Dean, College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences, UC Davis
- Rick Standiford (ex-officio), Associate Vice President, UC Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Oakland
- Steve Nation (ex-officio), Executive Director, Governmental and External Relations, UC Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Oakland