Citizenship Washington Focus
Sundays, June 20 thru July 18
Monday, June 21 thru July 19
Citizenship Washington Focus (CWF) is National 4-H Council’s premier leadership and civic engagement experience for high school age students. This year’s all-virtual program will take place once a week, for five weeks.
Different this year: California 4-H can have two (2) delegations!
We usually have just one delegation representing California 4-H at this annual conference. This year, we can sponsor two delegations, depending on the number of youth signing up.
Delegation 1: Sundays, June 20 thru July 18, from 3pm to 6pm (PDT).
Delegation 2: Mondays, June 21 thru July 19, from 3pm to 6pm (PDT).
CWF is the perfect place to make new friends, connect with young leaders from across the country and have fun, all while gaining the skills you'll need to use your voice to make an impact — right here, right now.
Earn a Citizenship Washington Focus pin
After the conference, implement your Plan of Action and report it through a UC Delivers story to earn a Citizenship Washington Focus pin. The deadline to submit your 4-H Delivers story is December 31, 2021.
Youth: $250 per person
Registration is due June 11, 2021
Please note: the registration form looks like it is for a group registration but individuals need to register themselves using this form this year. Please submit payment with your registration.
Please use the following for the required fields in the registration form:
Group Name/LGU/Military Base - use "University of California 4-H"
Group Lead Contact Name - Enter youth name
Group Lead Contact Email - Enter best email to contact youth delegate
Group Lead Contact Phone - Enter best phone to contact youth delegate
Will the Group Lead be attending the event? - Select yes
Group Lead Shipping Address - Enter shipping address for youth delegate. This is where they will send you your CWF Swag Bag.
Please contact us at Ca4HWashingtonFocus@ucanr.edu if you have any questions.
Program Fees Include:
Two to three hours of interactive, real-time experiences each week, including:
- 4-H Alumni spotlights, panel conversations and live Q&A with leaders who are making a difference in the corporate,government and nonprofit sectors.
- Workshops designed to help you build your leadership toolbox in civil discourse, media literacy and legislative advocacy.
- Small group work with other 4-H change agents like you to grow your network and deepen your understanding of the concepts we’ll explore each week.
- Action planning with your state delegation to apply what you’ve learned locally
- Virtual facilitation and personal support throughout your CWF experience thanks to a trained team of program assistants
- Official Swag Bag with everything you’ll need to make the most of CWF 2021– delivered right to your door.
Adults: One Lead Coordinator from each delegation can attend free of charge. Additional adult participants are $250 per person.
Please email Jenna Colburn at Ca4HWashingtonFocus@ucanr.edu if you are interested in volunteering as an adult coordinator and note if you want to sign up for Sundays or Mondays.
Week 1 - Empathy, Active Listening & Civil Discourse
- Defining Empathy and Discussing Why Cultures of Empathy are Successful
- An Active Listening Experience & Civil Discourse Workshop
Week 2 - Exploring National Topics
- Media Literacy
- Town Halls
- Introduction to Action Plans
Week 3 - A Local Focus
- A Constituency Simulation
- Who's in Charge — From Which Officials Would You Need Approval to Make Change?
Week 4 - Change Making Strategies
- How We Create Change:Bottom-up Strategies
- First Draft of Action Plans & Peer Reviews
Week 5 - Action Plan Symposium
Celebrating and Sharing Action Plans
Putting your plan into action!
This year's conference is a little different from past conferences. It includes more attention and support for building your action plan. Once the conference is complete, we encourage you to take advantage of the momentum of the conference to implement your action plan!
Earn a Citizenship Washington Focus pin
Youth delegates who complete their action plan and report it through a UC Delivers story will earn a Citizenship Washington Focus pin. The deadline to submit your 4-H Delivers story is December 31, 2021.