Wildfires are challenging times. Please work with your local fire agency and follow all evacuation orders to help fire crews protect our communities. There are several sources of information, so please ensure that you are using verified sources. If a wildfire is approaching, follow these steps to minimize risk to your person and property:
- Do not rely solely on emergency services. Damaged infrastructure can stop alert messages from getting to you. If you feel unsafe, evacuate.
- Mobile Alerts: Install CodeRED, RedAlert, and NIXLE on your mobile device to have emergency evacuation notices sent directly to your phone.
- Evacuation Orders: Check you local CalFire Incident Information Page, local Office of Emergency Services, local sheriff's department, and local news stations for the most up to date information. Many have Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- Social Media: Ensure you are getting information from reputable sources when getting information from Facebook or Twitter.
- Save Receipts: Some insurance providers include evacuation coverage as part of their policy. Save receipts for motels and other expenses to help with your recovery.
Use this checklist to prioritize your evacuation based on time available.