Being Proactive Against Weed Resistance
To help win the battle against herbicide-resistant weeds and prevent future outbreaks from occurring, it’s going to require taking a proactive approach to weed management rather than a reactive one. Through years of research and outreach efforts, Kurt Hembree has helped design a series of strategies to help one plan a weed management program that considers weed resistance. These strategies can be modified, depending on location, cost, and preference. Some of the most important ones are listed below:
- Don’t let weeds produce new seed, including surrounding areas.
- Make sure the spray operation is up to par.
- Follow herbicide label guidelines.
- Use a diverse pre- and postemergent herbicide program.
- Thank-mix and/or rotate herbicides with different active ingredient modes-of-actions.
- Apply herbicides at the appropriate weed stage of growth.
- Eliminate weeds escaping treatment.
- Vary control tactics, including tillage, hand removal, and mulches.