It's My Choice... Eat Right! Be Active!
It's My Choice... Eat Right! Be Active! is a nutrition curriculum designed for third graders that helps students examine the key nutrients provided by each of the five food groups of MyPlate and learn how to make healthy choices. They identify how vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, and proteins provide the essential building blocks needed for good health.
- Students will recognize MyPlate and identify it as a guide to healthy eating.
- Teach students the health benefits provided by foods from each of the five food groups.
- Teach students the concept of essential nutrients.
- Students will increase their consumption of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Students will expand the variety in their diets.
- Students will increase their physical activity.
Lessons and Accompanying Children’s Book
Lesson 1: It’s My Choice...MyPlate and Exercise for Health!
Picky Peggy by Jennifer Dussling
Lesson 2: It’s My Choice...Fruits and Vegetables Every Day!
The Ugly Vegetables by Grace Lin
Lesson 3: It’s My Choice...Whole Grains Every Day!
Macaroni and Rice and Bread by the Slice by Brian P. Cleary
Lesson 4: It’s My Choice...Vary the Protein!
Scrambled Eggs Super by Dr. Suess
Lesson 5: It’s My Choice...Choosing Healthy Beverages!
Alicia’s Fruit Drinks by Lupe Ruiz-Flores