2021 New Volunteer Training
Who Can Apply
- Priority given to El Dorado, Amador and Calaveras county residents. If space allows, neighboring county residents may be accepted.
- Applicants must be comfortable using a computer and accessing the internet. Class lessons, quizzes and homework are online; class communication is via email.
How to Apply
Attend one of two online informational meetings to learn more about the volunteer requirements as well as the selection and training process. Each session lasts one hour and will be recorded. Attendance or viewing of the information meeting is a mandatory pre-requisite to apply. Please rsvp online to attend either training information meeting at http://ucanr.edu/2021-mfp-training-mtg.
- Complete and submit the online application by the end of Sunday, February 7, 2021. Interviews will begin on February 10.
What We’ll Do
- Review applicants. Main criteria for acceptance: 1) prior community service, 2) experience teaching, either by giving presentations, writing, or in one-on-one situations, 3) experience/interest in home food preservation.
- Request a DOJ Clearance, including fingerprinting.
- Teach you how to preserve food successfully using scientifically researched home processes.
- Teach you how to educate our community about safe home food preservation.
- Provide you with plenty of fun volunteer and continuing education opportunities.
What You’ll Do If Accepted
- Pay the $150 course fee by February 22, 2021.
- Attend the 18 classes from 2:00 to 4:00 pm on the Friday dates listed to the right. Hands-on lab classes will be scheduled once in-person activities resume. Missed classes must be completed outside of normal class time with a mentor.
- Complete the Live Scan fingerprinting process by April 2, 2021. See the Live Scan Process Webpage for instructions, downloading the form and completing the process.
- Attend monthly MFP business meetings as often as possible. At this time all meetings are online via Zoom.
- Amador/Calaveras: first Tuesdays at 1:30 pm. In-person meetings alternate between Jackson and San Andreas.
- El Dorado: fourth Tuesdays at 1:00 pm.
- Complete 50 volunteer hours your first full program year, then 25 volunteer and 12 continuing education hours each year thereafter.
- Pass an annual food safety reappointment quiz.
- Have fun!
Lecture classes & demos:
online via Zoom, Friday: 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
In-person hands-on labs (TBD)
UCCE Amador County Office
12200-B Airport Road, Jackson
UCCE El Dorado County Office
311 Fair Lane, Placerville