Our Mission is to extend research-based knowledge and information on home horticulture, pest management, and sustainable landscape practices to the residents of California, and be guided by our core values and strategic initiatives.
What We Do
We are a volunteer organization that is part of the University of California Cooperative Extension Service. Our members have completed a comprehensive home horticulture training program and have become Certified Master Gardeners under the supervision of the Cooperative Extension Horticulture Advisor.
We are tasked with educating and helping the public through our educational programs, public events, and community projects:
We are tasked with educating the public through our programs that include the following:
- Our popular Helpline, where people can contact us with their horticulture problems and questions
- Our demonstration garden, an outdoor classroom and resource used to provide science-based horticultural education to our community of home gardeners
- Monthly free Advice to Grow By (ATGB) workshops and lectures
- Weekly garden blog and newspaper column in the SLO Tribune
- Informational booths at farmers markets
- Science-based presentations, demonstrations or workshops on topics specific to SLO County (Speakers bureau)
- Master Gardener Training Certification program
- Donations of food from our demonstration garden to GleanSLO