Returning Volunteers - Nevada County 4-H
Our volunteers are a key part of the 4-H Youth Development Program. 4-H has grown in California because of the dedication of our volunteers. Some of our volunteers have supported 4-H for 10, 20 and 30 years or more!
The Adult Volunteer enrollment fee is $25.00 for the 2020/21 year.
Re-apply annually by December 31
All 4-H volunteers must be appointed annually. If you are a current 4-H Adult Volunteer, to continue in the next year you need to re-apply and be re-appointed by December 31st. Returning volunteers who have not completed the re-appointment process must cease all 4-H volunteer work beginning January 1 until re-appointment process has been completed and the volunteer has been returned to active status. A break in service occurs if a returning volunteer fails to complete the re-appointment process for a full program year (July 1-June 30).
- Update your 4hOnline profile. Log in to 4hOnline to update your profile to enroll for the new year. Please make sure the Family email address in the system is correct and one you check regularly.
- Take the Returning Volunteers Training in the online eXtension system. Please check your Family email for the instructions to create an account and to register for a course. If you do not receive an email, please check your spam folder first. Next, please verify that the email entered in 4hOnline is correct and notify your county 4-H Representative. You should receive your County Enrollment Key from your County Extension Office.
For direct links to the instructions and eXtension courses, please see our Learning and Development page.
If you have created your account and already have your county enrollment key, you can access the Returning Volunteer Training by clicking the English or Spanish versions below.
- Get approved as a 4-H Volunteer. Please pay your club the $25.00 Adult Volunteer Enrollment Fee. After all the application requirements and mandatory trainings are completed, the County Director reviews and approves 4-H volunteer appointments after all the application requirements and mandatory trainings are completed.
If you have a break in service
If you have a break in service as a 4-H Adult Volunteer, please follow the process for New Volunteers.
All 4-H adult volunteers must apply and be appointed annually.
Process to become a new 4-H Adult Volunteer
1. Find a club
See our list of clubs to find one near you. You can also contact Jill Simmons (firstname.lastname@example.org or 530-273-4563) in the Nevada County Extension office (open Tuesdays and Thursdays) for help in finding clubs near you to start you on the process of becoming a volunteer. Contact the club leader to learn more about the volunteer opportunities available in the club.
2. Screening Process
All new 4-H volunteers must go through a screening process. Our #1 priority in 4-H is the safety of young people. We do all we can to protect young people and keep them safe while they are in our care. When you become a 4-H volunteer, you are part of the plan to keep our young people safe.
1. Complete the online 4-H Volunteer Interest Survey in English or Spanish.
2. Create an adult volunteer profile on 4hOnline.*
Please make sure the Family email address in the system is correct and one you check regularly. This email will be used for most communications and to confirm your volunteer application.
*For Spanish: The 4hOnline system is only in English. You can fill in the paper enrollment packet in Spanish and turn it in to your club leader or county staff for them to enter it into 4hOnline for you. Please keep a copy of the paper forms for your records.
An important part of providing a safe environment is to conduct background checks on our volunteers and staff. Everyone that will be spending an extended time with our 4-H youth is screened.
3. New Volunteer Training
All new 4-H volunteers are required to take the New Volunteer Training online courses in the eXtension system before they become approved as volunteers. This interactive training series introduces you to the best practices in positive youth development that are used in 4- H. The trainings are available in English. Spanish training is coming soon!
After you complete and submit your 4hOnline profile you will receive an automated message with the eXtension login instructions. The email will go to the Family email account you entered in 4hOnline.
If you used a paper enrollment form, you will have to check with the Nevada County 4-H Program Representative, Jill Simmons, for the login instructions.
The County Director reviews and approves 4-H volunteer appointments after
You are signed up in 4hOnline.
You have passed the screening process.
You complete all of the New Volunteer Training required in your county.
- Pay the Adult Volunteer enrollment fee of $25.00 for the 2020/21 year.
Once you are approved, the fun begins! Thank you for joining our 4-H family!