Treatment for Exposures
What to do for a plant poisoning
If the victim is choking and cannot breathe, call 9-1-1
Treatment for Exposure:
- Mouth: Remove any parts of the plant or mushroom from the patient's mouth and clean out the mouth.
- Skin: Wash the area exposed to the plant with soap and cool water as soon as possible.
- Eyes: Flush eyes with lukewarm water for 10 to 15 minutes. Be very gentle, as vigorous or prolonged rinsing can hurt the eyes.
Meanwhile, call the Poison Control Center: (800) 222-1222
If you are advised to go to an emergency room, take the plant or a part of it with you (take more than a single leaf or berry). Take the label, too, if you have it. The correct name can result in the proper treatment if the plant is poisonous. If the plant is not dangerous, knowing the name can prevent needless treatment and worry.