Understand your commitment level
Beekeeping is an expensive hobby and requires a time investment.
Are you willing to invest the needed time and effort?
Unfortunately, due to the lack of being fully aware of the time and money investments required to properly establish and manage honey bee colonies, there are instances of abandoned or neglected hives. This endangers all bee populations (cultivated and natural) and can impact the safety of people and other animals in the area.
Before obtaining bees and equipment it is best to consider all potential beginning and future costs of both money and time.
- Are you aware of and able to comply with the beekeeping laws in your area?
- Are you able to monitor and check your hives on a regular and consistent basis?
- Are you able to invest in re-queening your colonies annually?
- Are you willing and able to learn the symptoms of the various pests and diseases that could impact your bee colonies and take the appropriate action if and when they occur?
- Are you willing to purchase additional hives as your bee colony expands?
- Are you able to re-locate hives if needed?
- Are you willing to talk with your neighbors about your honey bee colonies/hives so they understand your goals and take safety precautions?
- Are you willing to continue your beekeeping education to stay current in local bee protection laws and management information?