2023 Training Info
Applicants must be comfortable using a computer and accessing the internet. Class lessons, quizzes and homework are online using Google Classroom; class communication is via email. San Bernardino County residents will be given priority.
How to Apply
- Attend one of two online informational meetings to learn more about the volunteer requirements as well as the selection and training process. Each session lasts one hour and will be recorded. Attendance or viewing of the information meeting is a mandatory pre-requisite to apply. Please RSVP online to attend one of the training information meetings shown below, or to receive a link to the meeting recording.
- Friday, October 21: 12:00 Noon—1:00 PM
- Friday, November 18, 2022: 12:00 Noon—1:00 PM
What We’ll Do
- Review applicants. Main criteria for acceptance: 1) prior community service, 2) experience teaching, either by giving presentations, writing, or in one-on-one situations, 3) experience/interest in home food preservation.
- Request a DOJ Clearance, including fingerprinting.
- Teach you how to preserve food successfully using scientifically researched home processes.
- Teach you how to educate our community about safe home food preservation.
- Provide you with plenty of fun volunteer and continuing education opportunities.
What You’ll Do If Accepted
- Pay the $250.00 course fee by January 4, 2023.
- Attend the 10 classes from 2:00 – 4:00 pm on the Friday dates listed, as well as the in-person labs. Only one class may be missed and must be completed outside of normal class time with a mentor.
- Complete the Live Scan fingerprinting process by February 24, 2023. See the Live Scan Process Webpage for instructions, downloading the form and completing the process.
- Attend as many monthly meetings as possible
- Participate in public events
- Attend at least one public class hosted by a UC Master Food Preserver Program; either in person or online, by April 7, 2023, as part of your training program.
- Complete 50 volunteer hours your first full program year, then 25 volunteer and 12 continuing education hours each year thereafter.
- Pass an annual food safety reappointment quiz.
- Have fun!
Lecture classes and demos:
Online via Zoom.
In-person hands-on labs:
7863 Central Ave, Highland CA 92346
Training Fee: $250
Online: Fridays: 2:00 - 4:00 PM
Hands on: 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM