Plant Science Contest
This contest is in-person only. Please see the In-person Safety Measures if you plan to participate.
May 28, 2022
10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
UC Davis Hart Hall
The Plant Science Contest is organized into three parts:
- Plant Identification
Pre-registration is closed. The contest will accept walk-in participants.
The contest provides opportunities for you to:
- Increase your knowledge of horticultural plants and horticultural/plant science techniques
- Expand your ability to identify various plants
- Interact with other youth interested in plant science.
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Competition Coordinator: Terry Berke at email@example.com
Results will be shared during the Awards Ceremony on May 29, 2022.
Certificates and pins will be mailed to UCCE 4-H county offices.
About 4-H Plant Science
4-H Plant Science teaches youth...
- Applied biological/agricultural sciences including production of all plants.
- Insight into agriculture and develop understanding of the basic principles of plant physiology as they relate to plant growth and development.
- An understanding of the methods and values of scientific research and its influence on plants and soils.
- The use of biotechnology as it pertains to the development of new and improved plant varieties.
- The role of plant nutrients, water and soil in plant growth and the geographic areas suited for plant growth.
- The use of integrated pest management practices (IPM) as part of an overall crop production system.
NJHA Study Manual - A good online resource for 4-H members interested in doing independent research on plant science
University of California (UC) Master Gardener Program - The UC Master Gardener Program extends UC research-based information about home horticulture and pest management to the public.
The four highest scoring senior-age 4-H youth (15-18) will be eligible to be part of the California State 4-H Plant Science team representing California at the National Junior Horticultural Association contest.
In addition to the qualifying California 4-H team members, other 4-H youth can attend the convention and participate in demonstration, speech, cooking, and several other contests.
The California 4-H team at the National Junior Horticulture Association convention in St. Louis in October 2018 took home the 1st place team trophy! In addition, they placed 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 6th in the individual competitions.
The 4-H team at the 2019 convention placed 3rd, behind Maryland and Kansas.