4-H STEM Shark Tank
4-H STEM Shark Tank Challenge
May 22, 2021 at 4:00pm via Zoom
The 4-H STEM Advisory Committee is organizing a Shark Tank Challenge! 4-H members can use their STEM brains to come up with ideas/inventions to solve current global issues!
Similar to the Shark Tank TV show, 4-H'ers will present their proposed inventions to a panel of 4-H Volunteer Sharks (but very friendly sharks, we assure you!). In 90 seconds, 4-H'ers must show their invention and share how it addresses the identified problem.
Register by May 5, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Spectators are welcome! Please register to get the Zoom link to watch.
1. Choose one scenario:
2. Create a hypothetical invention that solves the challenge depicted in your scenario.
3. Present live via Zoom to the 4-H Volunteer Shark panel on Saturday, May 22nd at 4:00 pm
- Each pitch is limited to 90 seconds.
- You can present using any format you choose. For example, create a drawing of your solution, create a presentation, build a model, etc. Any type of submission/presentation will be accepted.
- Be sure to address the following areas in your 90 second pitch:
- Name of invention
- The scenario you are addressing
- What does your invention do?
- How does it solve the challenge in your selected scenario?
Creativity - 50 points
Practicality of solution - 20 points
Presentation - 30 points
Total possible - 100 points
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dagmar Derickson, email@example.com or 805-712-9178.
Click image to download Competition Overview
Choose one of the following scenarios to solve:
In the U.S., 30%-40% of our food supply becomes food waste. According to the FDA, wasted food is the single largest category of material placed in landfills, which could have helped feed families in need.
Challenge: Create an invention that saves food in the grocery stores before it goes bad and is tossed out.
Hellp! The rising sea levels every year are continuing to have devastating effects on our coastal communities due to flooding. For more information, read this article: Flooding and Climate Change: Everything You Need to Know
Challenge: You have been tasked with creating an invention that counteracts the flooding on our coasts.
As of now, there are 5.25 trillion pieces of trash in our ocean. Fish, sea turtles, and other marine life are constantly getting tangled in debris or ingesting plastic. Something needs to be done about it.
Challenge: Your job is to create an invention that can save our oceans by getting rid of the trash.
According to the California Air Resources Board, over 90% of Californians breathe unhealthy levels of one or more air pollutants during some part of the year.
Challenge: Your task is to design a solution/invention that will reduce the amount of pollutants put into our air.