Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources
Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources
Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources
University of California
Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources

Ways To Give


For additional information on making an outright or deferred tax-deductible charitable contribution to ANR, please contact Andrea Ambrose at apambrose@ucanr.edu or (510) 987-9139.



Many families request memorial gifts in lieu of flowers when a loved one passes away.  A memorial gift to UC ANR is a way of perpetuating the values and ideas that guided the life of the deceased. 

We will notify the family of your gift in their loved one’s memory, but the gift amount remains private.

Honor gifts are a way of recognizing a living individual by giving a gift in their honor.  We will notify the honoree of your gift, but the gift amount remains private.

If you are interested in making a memorial or honor gift, please make sure to provide honoree or family name and address in the comments field of the donation page so we can properly inform them of your generosity.  You can make your gift online here.

If you need additional assistance regarding memorial or honor gifts, contact us at gifts@ucanr.edu.

Outright Gifts

Cash: You may claim an income tax charitable deduction for the full value of your gift (cash or check).  Please do not send cash through the mail.

Securities: Securities may be transferred from your brokerage account to the Regents of the University of California. The value of your gift of securities is determined by the mean market value of the stock on the date of your gift.

Real estate/personal property: You may transfer real estate or other personal property to the University for the purpose of enhancing ANR programs. Depending upon the circumstances, the university will either manage or liquidate the assets.  If you donate an appreciated asset, you may avoid capital gains taxes.

Deferred Gifts

Bequests: Bequests are gifts made through one's will or living trust in which a charity, such as ANR, is named as the beneficiary of a percentage of the estate, the residual of the estate or a specific amount. Historically, some of the largest gifts received by ANR (and the University) have been through bequests.

Life income gifts: If your estate and tax-planning objectives include making a charitable gift, receiving an income for life, reducing taxes, and possibly increasing income, you may wish to consider one of the life income gift opportunities offered by the university. Life income gifts - such as pooled income funds, charitable gift annuities, and charitable remainder trusts - may be funded through a transfer of cash, stock, or other assets.  Following the lifetime of the last beneficiary, the assets are transferred to ANR for use as you have specified.

Pooled income funds: Pooled income funds function like mutual funds and provide the donor with a proportionate share of the income earned by the fund.

Charitable gift annuities: Charitable gift annuities offer fixed payments to the annuitant. The rate of payment is based upon the annuitant's age.

Charitable remainder trust: A charitable remainder trust typically pays its
beneficiary a fixed percentage of its net asset value each year.

Charitable lead trust: A charitable lead trust would provide ANR an income stream for a term of years while the assets would be passed on to heirs at reduced tax costs.

Retained life estate: You may transfer a personal residence or farm to ANR while retaining the right to live there for life.

Life insurance: Gifts may be made by naming ANR as a beneficiary or successor beneficiary of a retirement account.  There are, however, no current tax advantages for transferring a retirement account during one's lifetime.

All gifts are tax-deductible as prescribed by law.  The information you provide will be used for University business and will not be released unless required by law.

If you would like to learn more about ANR or how to include the University in your charitable giving plans, please contact ANR Development Services at apambrose@ucanr.edu or (510) 987-9139.

Webmaster Email: jewarnert@ucanr.edu