Christina A. Hecht Ph.D
UC ANR Nutrition Policy Institute CoordinatorNutrition Policy Institute (NPI)
1111 Franklin Street
Oakland, CA 94607
Ph.D. Population Dynamics, Johns Hopkins. 1991
B.A. Human Biology, Stanford University. 1978
- Umunna, IL; Blacker, LS; Hecht, CE; Edwards, MA; Altman, EA; Patel, AI (2021). Water Safety in California Public Schools Following Implementation of School Drinking Water Policies. Prev Chron Dis. 18, 200366.
- Park, S; Onufrak, S; Cradock, A; Patel, A; Hecht, C; Merlo, C; Blanck, HM. (2020). Correlates of infrequent plain water intake among US high school students: National Youth Risk Behavior Survey, 2017. Am J Health Promt. 34:5, 549-554. Published online first on March 18, 2020.
- Patel, A.I.; Podrabsky, M.; Hecht, A.A.; Morris, S.; Yovanovich, S.; Walkinshaw, L.P.; Ritchie, L; and Hecht, C. (2020). Development and Validation of a Photo‐Evidence Tool to Examine Characteristics of Effective Drinking Water Access in Schools. J School Health. 90, 271-277.
- Altman, Emily; Lee, Kevin; Hecht, Christina; Hampton, Karla; Moreno, Gala; Patel, Anisha (2020). Drinking water access in California schools: Room for improvement following implementation of school water policies. Preventive Medicine Reports. 19. September.
- Patel, AI; Hecht, CE; Cradock, A; Edwards, MA; Ritchie, LD. (2020). Drinking Water in the United States: Implications of Water Safety, Access and Consumption. Annual Review of Nutrition. Volume 40, pages 345-373. September.
- Cooper, A; Altman, E; Hecht, C; Bruce, J; Patel, A. (2020). Stories of success: A qualitative examination of contributors to excellence in school drinking water access. Public Health Nutrition. 1-10.
- Patel, AI; Hecht, AA; Hampton, KE; Hecht, C; Buck, S (2019). Agua4All: Providing Safe Drinking Water in Rural California Communities. Prev Chronic Dis. 16, E151. 2019 Nov 14.
- Walkinshaw, LP; Hecht, C; Patel, A; Podrabsky, M. (2019). Training high school student “citizen scientists” to document school water access: a feasibility study. Journal of School Health. 89, 653-661. 6/3/19. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/josh.12790
- Grummon, Anna H; Sokol, Rebekah; Hecht, Christina A; Patel, Anisha I (2018). Measuring beverage consumption in US children and adolescents: a systematic review. Obesity Reviews.
- Hook, EB; Carothers, AD; Hecht, CA (1999). Elevated maternal age-specific rates of Down syndrome liveborn offspring of women of Mexican and Central American origin in California. Prenatal Diagnosis. 19:3, 245-51.
- Carothers, AD; Hecht, CA; Hook, EB (1999). International variation in reported live-birth prevalence rates of Down syndrome, adjusted for maternal age. J Med Genet. 36:5, 386-93.
- Hecht, CA; Hook, EB (1996). Rates of Down syndrome at live-birth by one-year maternal age intervals in studies with apparent close to complete ascertainment in populations of European origin: A proposed revised rate schedule for use in genetic and prenatal screening. Am Jour Med Genet. 62:4, 376-85.
- Hecht, CA; Hook, EB (1994). The imprecision in rates of Down syndrome by 1-year maternal age intervals: a critical analysis of rates used in biochemical screening. Prenatal Diagnosis. 14:8, 729-38.
- Ritchie, L; Vital, N; Au, L; Gosliner, WA; Meza, M; Anderson, CE; Strochlic, R; Plank, K; Tsai, M; Martinez, CE; Olague, C; Rios, A; Lee, DLL; Hecht, CE; Whaley, SE (2021). WIC Especially Critical during the COVID-19 Pandemic: Voices of Participants in Los Angeles County. January. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/342602.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Patel, AI (2020). Back-to-School: We'll Keep Feeding Those Kids! September 9. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/332042.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Patel, AI; Lessard, D. (2020). Boosting School Meal Participation — Tips from Districts. October 20. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/338072.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Patel, AI (2020). Calling all Districts! USDA Summer Meals Can Keep Kids Healthy (California version). June 20. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/327331.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Patel, AI (2020). Calling all Districts! USDA Summer Meals Can Keep Kids Healthy (National version). June 20. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/328488.pdf
- Hecht, CE; Vollmer, LY (2020). Child Care Drinking Water Safety. February 20. https://45daf280-3359-4d8c-9870-5c5f730d8448.filesusr.com/ugd/9c073b_7c66260c25784014ab41a3b7cfdb2028.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Vollmer, LY (2020). Healthy Hydration: Ensuring access to safe water in schools. March. https://9c073bb6-f7ef-48b6-ad05-b37094ec4e4f.usrfiles.com/ugd/9c073b_1e37b4417e7641abb4da3473e0b0154d.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Reich, A. (2020). Increasing Drinking Water Availability in Schools during COVID-19 and Beyond. October 15. https://api.healthiergeneration.org/resource/851
- Hecht, CA; Patel, AI (2020). Kids’ Hunger Doesn’t Take a Spring Break. While closed for COVID-19, California districts can serve meals over spring break. April 7. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/322985.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Patel, AI. (2020). Kids’ Hunger Doesn’t Take a Spring Break. While closed for COVID-19, school districts can serve meals over spring break. National version of factsheet. April 2. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/323167.pdf
- Hecht, CA (2020). School drinking water safety and access during COVID-19. California School Boards Association. November 20. http://blog.csba.org/water-safety-covid/
- Hecht, CA (2020). School Meals: More important this summer than ever. California School Boards Association. June 5. http://blog.csba.org/summer-meals2020/
- Hecht, CA (2020). Supporting school meals during COVID-19 and beyond. California School Board Association. November 27. https://publications.csba.org/issue/winter-2020/
- Hecht, C. (2020). Supporting school meals during COVID-19 and beyond. California Schools. Winter. https://publications.csba.org/issue/winter-2020/supporting-school-meals-during-covid-19-and-beyond/
- Hecht, CA; Vollmer, LY; Olague, C. (2019). Beba Aqua. July. https://45daf280-3359-4d8c-9870-5c5f730d8448.filesusr.com/ugd/9c073b_d4358b1bdbdc4dc4bd068cc991b08505.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Vollmer, LY (2019). Drink Water. July. https://45daf280-3359-4d8c-9870-5c5f730d8448.filesusr.com/ugd/9c073b_5a20c1a7aa9941d5bcf62c126154b0c6.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Vollmer, LY (2019). Policy Brief: Are Sugar-Sweetened Beverages a Problem? September. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/318976.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Vollmer, LY. (2019). Policy Brief: Infant and Toddler Beverage Recommendations for the 2020-2025 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. June. https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/ee8930_e33a661f5d514d97bfb4c6d93798d661.pdf
- Hecht, C. (2019). Rara Avis: My Childhood at the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. Member Magazine for the American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.C. Dorn. https://www.asbmb.org/asbmb-today/people/090119/j-thomas-august-1927-2019
- Cradock, AL; Hecht, CA; Poole, MK; Vollmer, LY; Flax, CN; Barrett, JL (2019). State approaches to testing school drinking water for lead in the United States. Chan School of Public Health; 1/9/19. https:// www.hsph.harvard.edu/prc/projects/ school-research/early-adopters
- Cradock, AL; Poole, MK; Vollmer, LY; Barrett, JL; Flax, CN; Hecht, CA (2019). State Policies on Testing Drinking Water for Lead in U.S. Schools. Research Brief. Durham, NC, Healthy Eating Research. January. https://healthyeatingresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/HER-Brief_State-Policies-on-Testing-Drinking-Water-for-Lead-in-U.S.-Schools-1.pdf
- Hecht, Christina (2018). Green Schools National Network Newsletter. Safe Water in Schools: What do we know? What can we do? https://greenschoolsnationalnetwork.org/safe-water-in-schools-what-do-we-know-what-can-we-do/
- Hecht, CA; Vollmer, LY (2017). Drinking Water Safety in Schools. September 1. https://45daf280-3359-4d8c-9870-5c5f730d8448.filesusr.com/ugd/9c073b_8ee98e40cd384c2bbf0db29b369c5c92.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Vollmer, LY; Patel, AI (2017). Effective Access to Water in Schools. September 1. https://45daf280-3359-4d8c-9870-5c5f730d8448.filesusr.com/ugd/ee8930_94a3be8571214de1aeb83b8f2193b40e.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Vollmer, LY (2017). Healthy Hydration. September. https://45daf280-3359-4d8c-9870-5c5f730d8448.filesusr.com/ugd/ee8930_6cb75896500e4f2e829f3ea770dcdd08.pdf