Cooperative Extension Advisor EmeritaCooperative Extension Riverside County
21150 Box Springs Road, Ste 202
Moreno Valley, CA 92557-8718
San Bernardino County
Ph.D. Food Science, Washington State University. 1989
SpecialtyNutrition Education and Evaluation, Consumer Food Safety, Community Garden
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Human Nutrition, Food Safety, and Human Health and Well-Being
- Protect Food From Contamination By Pathogenic Microorganisms, Parasites, and Naturally Occurring Toxins
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Yeung, HF; Bruhn, C; Blackburn, M; Ganthavorn, C; Martin, A; Mendoza, C; Neelon, M; Smith, D; Soule, K; Spezzano, TM; Barrett, T; Feng, Y. (2019). Evaluation of In-Person and On-Line Food Safety Education Programs for Community Volunteers. Journal of Food Control. 99, 34-39.
- Ganthavorn, C; Kaiser, L (2018). Spotlight Education Prompts Intent to Change Dietary Behaviors. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 50:3, 315-318.
- Nicoli, A; Ganthavorn, C; Mendoza, C; Martin, A; Neelon, M; Kaiser, L (2016). "A qualitative evaluation of UC CalFresh Plan, Shop, Save, Cook curriculum reveals additional outcomes." California Agriculture 70(2): 83-88.
- Mendoza, C.; Ganthavorn, C.; Neelon M, Lamp C (2015). Can Home-Based Education Fill the Gap When In-Class Education is Not an Option? 8th Biennial Childhood Obesity Conference. San Diego, CA. June.
- Kaiser, L.L.; Lamp, C.; Ganthavorn, C.; Farfan-Ramirez L, Behar M (2015). UCCE Efforts Improve Quality Of and Demand For Fresh Produce at WIC A-50 Stores. California Agriculture. 69(2), 105-109.
- Kaiser, L.; Ganthavorn, C. (2014). Evaluating intent-to-change among SNAP-Ed participants. Experimental Biology-American Society for Nutrition Annual Conference. San Diego, CA. April.
- Townsend, M.S.; Ganthavorn, C.; Neelon M, Donohue S (2014). Improving the quality of data from EFNEP participants with low-literacy skills: a participant-driven model. Journal of Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior. 46(4), 309-314.
- Blackburn, M.L.; Bruhn, C.M.; Soederberg M, Ganthavorn C (2014). Seniors, and their food handlers and caregivers, need food safety and nutrition education. California Agriculture. 68(1):1, 30-37.
- Crawford, P.B.; Schneider, C.L.; Martin AC, Spezzano T (2013). Communitywide Strategies Key to Preventing Childhood Obesity. California Agriculture. 67:1, 13-20.
- Kaiser, L.; Schneider, C.; Neelon, M. (2013). Evaluation of Nutrition Outcomes in Youth: Challenges and Opportunities. Chapter 1 in Youth: Practices, Perspectives and Challenges.E. Trejos-Castillo. Nova Science Publishers. https://www.novapublishers.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=42835
- Townsend, M.S.; Ganthavorn, C; Neelon M, Donohue S (2013). Improving the quality of data from EFNEP participants with low-literacy skills: a Participant-Driven Model. Record lecture content to sync with slides to accompany published journal article. Elsevier AudioSlides. December.
- Kaiser, L.; Chaidez, V.; Schneider, C. (2013). Plan, Shop, Save, Cook: Influence of SNAP on Program Outcomes. Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior Annual Conference. Portland, OR. August.
- Townsend, M.S.; Donohue, S.; Roche, B.; Ganthavorn C, Johns MC (2012). Designing a Food Behavior Checklist for EFNEP’s Low-literate Participants. J Nutr Educ Behavior. 44, S75-76.
- Townsend, M.S.; Ganthavorn, C.; Donohue, S.; Roche B, Lamp C (2012). EFNEP Data Collection: Using Cognitive Load Theory to Design a New Family Record. J Nutr Educ Behavior. 44, S75.
- Townsend, M.S.; Schneider, C.; Ganthavorn, C.; Johns MC, Neelon M (2012). Enhancing Quality of EFNEP Data: Designing a Diet Recall Form for the Low-literate Participant in a Group Setting. J Nutr Educ Behavior. 44, S15-16.
- Kaiser, L.; Lamp, C.; Ganthavorn, C.; Farfan-Ramirez, L. (2012). "UC Cooperative Extension explores a farm-to-WIC program." California Agriculture 66(1): 15-19.
- Lamp, C.; Ganthavorn, C.; Farfan-Ramirez, L.; McMurdo, T. (2011). Opportunities and challenges: making local, fresh, affordable produce more available to low-income California families via WIC stores. 6th Biennial Childhood Obesity Conference. San Diego, CA.
- Ganthavorn, C.; Neelon, M; Roche, B.; Kaiser, L. (2011). UC-FSNEP Changing the Classroom Environment. 6th Biennial Childhood Obesity Conference. San Diego, CA.
- Bruhn, C.M.; Barrett, G.; Blackburn, M.; Collins, M. (2010). Increasing Food Safety Competency in the Community. USDA Food Safety Educators Conference. Atlanta, GA. March.
- Ganthavorn, C. (2010). Marketing Produce to American Consumers. Southeast Asia Symposium on Quality and Safety of Fresh and Fresh-Cut Produce. ISHS Acta Horticulturae 875. 2010. http://www.actahort.org/books/875/
- Ganthavorn, C. (2009). "Extension Opportunities for Grandparents Raising Grandchildren." Journal of the National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences 4: 38-41.
- Hughes, J.S.; Ganthavorn, C. (2009). Role of Antioxidants in Asian Vegetables and California Dates. Asia Pacific Symposium on Assuring Quality and Safety of Agri-Foods. ISHS Acta Horticulturae. 837. June 2009. http://www.actahort.org/books/837/
- Ganthavorn, C.; Armijo, L.; Afana, F.; Schifano, L.; Herrera, R. (2009). Youth Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program and Riverside County Office of Education Head Start Team Delivered "Happy Healthy Me". 5th Biennial Childhood Obesity Conference. Anaheim, CA. June 2009.
- Hughes, J.; Ganthavorn, C. (2008). Evaluating the Antioxidant Capacity of California Dates and Asian Vegetables. 5th International Congress on Vegetarian Nutrition. Loma Linda University, CA. 2008.
- Ganthavorn, C; Hughes, J.S. (2007) Promoting Healthy Lifestyles Among Grandparents Raising Grandchildren in Riverside County. Journal of Extension [On-line] 45,
- Ganthavorn, C.; Escobar, P.; Staff, RCOE (2005). Engaging Head Start Parents to Make A Difference in Childhood Obesity. Childhood Obesity Annual Conference. San Diego, CA. 2005.
- Ganthavorn, C.; Hughes, J.S.; Jackson, S; Leuty, J (2004). Health Habits Survey of Head Start Families. California Dietetic Association Annual Conference. Oakland, CA. 2004.
- Ganthavorn, C; Hughes, J.S. (2002). Family Summer Camp As a Teaching Tool for Nutrition Education. California Dietetic Association Annual Conference. Riverside, CA. 2002.
- Hughes, J.S.; Ganthavorn, C.; Wilson-Sanders, S. (1997). "Dry beans inhibit Azoxymethane-induced colon carcinogenesis in F344 rats." Journal of Nutrition 127(12): 2328-2333.
- Ganthavorn, C; Hughes, J.S. (1997). "Inhibition of soybean oil oxidation by extracts of dry beans (Phaseolus vulgaris." Journal of American Oil Chemists Society 74(8): 1025-1030.
- Ganthavorn, C.; Nagel, C.W.; Powers, J.R. (1991). "Thermal inactivation of lipoxygenase and peroxidase in asparagus." Journal of Food Science 56(1): 47.
- Ganthavorn, C; Powers, J.R. (1989). "Partial purification and characterization of asparagus lipoxygenase." Journal of Food Science 54(2): 371.
- Ganthavorn, C.; Powers, J.R. (1988). "Changes in peroxidase activity, hexanal, ascorbic acid and free sulfhydryl in blanched asparagus during frozen storage." Journal of Food Science 53(5): 1403.
California Agriculture Article Contributions
- UCCE efforts improve quality of and demand for fresh produce at WIC A-50 stores
- Seniors, and their food handlers and caregivers, need food safety and nutrition education
- UC Cooperative Extension explores a farm-to-WIC program
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Building Partnerships with Native American Communities - Member
- Consumer Climate Change Literacy - Member
- Money Talks - Member