Ryan E. Tompkins
208 Fairground Road
Quincy, CA 95971
Ryan Tompkins is the UC Cooperative Extension Forest and Natural Resources Advisor for Plumas, Sierra, and Lassen counties and is a California Registered Professional Forester (No. 3108). His research interests include forest & fire ecology and management in the Sierra Nevada, silviculture for ecological restoration, and post-fire reforestation. His 18 year federal career included working as a forester and certified silviculturist with the USDA Forest Service and working in the Fire Effects program at the National Park Service. When he's not thinking about forested landscapes, he might be helping firewise communities or just enjoying a quiet moment in the Sierra Nevada backcountry.
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Forest / Range / Wildlife Commodities / Habitats - General
- Forest Trees and Products
- Forest and Range Resources
- Management and Control of Forest and Range Fires
- Management and Sustainability of Forest Resources
- Natural Resources, General
- Pest Management/Diseases
- Sustainable Natural Ecosystems
- Endemic and Invasive Pests and Diseases
- Schohr, Tracy; Tompkins, Ryan; Getts, Tom; Wilkin, Kate; Wiley, Jen (2019). Invasive Weed Management Post-Wildfire: Closer Look at Camp Fire Invasive Weeds in Right-of-ways. Grasslands: Published quarterly by the California Native Grasslands Association. 29:3, 10-14.
- North, Malcolm; Stevens, Jens; Greene, David; Coppoletta, Michelle; Knapp, Eric; Latimer, Andrew; Restaino, Christina; Tompkins, Ryan; Welch, Kevin; York, Rob; Young, Derek; Axelson, Jodi; Buckley, Tom; Estes, Becky; Hager, Rachel; Long, Jonathan; Meyer, Marc; Ostoja, Steven; Safford, Hugh; Shive, Kristen; Tubbesing, Carmen; Vice, Heather; Walsh, Dana; Werner, Chhaya; Wyrsch, Peter (2019). Tamm Review: Reforestation for resilience in dry western U.S. Forests. Forest Ecology and Management. 432, 209-224. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2018.09.007
Russell, Will; Tompkins, Ryan (2005). Estimating Biomass in Coastal Baccharis pilularis dominated shrub types. Fire Ecology. 1:1.
- Gasser, Don; Hepner, Hannah; West, Matthew; McCourt, Sue; White, Chuck; Herrin, Becky; Tompkins, Ryan; Bauer, Ryan; Callaghan, Mike; Bowman, Chuck; Hollister, Zach; Martynn, Dan; Moghaddas, Jason; Graevs, Brad (2019). Plumas County Communities Wildfire Protection Plan. Plumas County Fire Safe Council. 18-20. July 2019.