4070 University Road
Hopland, CA 95449
Hopland Research & Extension Center
Brook Gamble is a California native and UC Santa Cruz Environmental Studies Alumni. While studying at UC Santa Cruz, she was inspired by all of the experiential learning opportunities and natural history courses including Natural History Field Quarter. Brook worked in Alaska for the past decade+, first as a wildlife biologist and then in science communication and science program management roles with the University of Alaska Fairbanks.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS & PROFESSIONAL PRESENTATIONS
- Trainor, S.F., J. Walsh, and J.B. Gamble. 2014 Submitted. Proactive and reactive adaptations to climate change in Alaska: a multi-sector review.
- Gamble, J.B. UC leads a long tradition of environmental stewardship in California. UC Green Blog. July 25, 2014.
- Gamble, J.B. The arduous task of assessing impact. UC Green Blog. March 21, 2014.
- Gamble, J.B. Giving thanks for California’s rich natural history. UC Green Blog. November 27, 2013.
- Gamble, J.B. Time spent learning about nature in the outdoor classroom is irreplaceable. Children & Nature Network. August 22, 2013.
- Gamble, J.B. California Naturalist Program grows a new constituency for nature. UC Green Blog. May 10, 2013.
- Trainor, S.F, N.P. Kettle, and J.B. Gamble. 2013 In Press. Regional Webinars as a Platform for Climate Knowledge to Action Networking in Alaska. In Climate in Context. New York: Wiley & Sons.
- Gamble, J.B. 2010-2012. Editor and designer, Alaska Climate Dispatch.
- Gamble, J.B. (contributing author). 2012. The United States National Climate Assessment - Alaska technical regional report. Markon, C.J., Trainor, S.F., and F.S. Chapin III, eds. U.S.G.S. Circular 1379.
- Loring, P.A. and J.B. Gamble. 2012. Ways to help and ways to hinder: Matching climate and policy to ensure food security in Alaska. Climate Predictions and Applications workshop, Miami, Florida.
- Trainor, S.F., J. Walsh, and J.B. Gamble. 2012. Climate adaptation in Alaska: Who is doing what? Center for Science and Technology Policy Research seminar, Boulder, Colorado.
- Gamble, J.B., S.F. Trainor, and N.L. Fresco. 2011. Assisting Arctic inhabitants in responding to a changing climate. Rural Connections (Western Rural Development Center).
- White, D.M. and J.B. Gamble. 2011. The Alaska Center for Climate Assessment and Policy: Integrating users, collaborators and scientists to identify and respond to regional vulnerabilities and needs. National Weather Service Climate Focal Points Workshop. Fairbanks, AK.
- Gamble, J.B. 2010. Narrator and script developer. Ocean Acidification in Alaska video.
- Atkinson, D., M. Black, J. Cherry, B. Connor, A. Elconin, J.B. Gamble, A. Holman, L. Hopkins, J.L. Hulsey, M. Lee, G. Magee, R. Pawlowski, R. Perkins, T.S. Rupp, W. Schnabel, S. Trainor, S. Weaver, R. Weis, D. White, and X. Zhang. 2010. Decision-making for at-risk communities in a changing climate. Report for the National Commission on Energy Policy. .
- Druckenmiller, M., S.F. Trainor, and J.B. Gamble. 2010. A review of sea ice & related climate information resources for Alaska’s Arctic coastal communities: A manual for accessing & using online information.
- White, D.M., J.B. Gamble, S.F. Trainor, and J. Cherry. 2010. Water resources, climate change and Homer. Katchemak Bay Research Reserve Open Forum, Anchorage, Alaska.
- Gamble, J.B. 2005. Calypso Farm and Ecology Center public relations plan.
- Gamble, J.B., S.D. Kildaw, and C.L. Buck. 2005. Reproductive biology of glaucous-winged gulls in Chiniak Bay, Kodiak Island Alaska. In: Wynn, K.M., R. Foy, and C.L. Buck. 2005. Gulf Apex Predator-prey Study (GAP). Final Report. NOAA Grant NA16FX1270, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Kodiak, Alaska, 241 p.
- Gamble, J.B, and C.L. Buck. 2004. Body condition of glaucous-winged gulls throughout the reproductive period. In: Wynn, K.M., R. Foy, and C.L. Buck. 2005. Gulf Apex Predator-prey Study (GAP). Final Report. NOAA Grant NA16FX1270, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Kodiak, Alaska, 241 p.
- Gamble, J.B., K.M. O'Reilly, and C.L. Buck. 2004. Effects of reproductive stage on adrenal responsiveness of glaucous-winged gulls. Pacific Seabird Group Meeting, La Paz, Mexico.
- Gamble, J.B., E.C. Murphy, K.M. O'Reilly and C.L. Buck. 2004. Seasonal dynamics of the stress response of glaucous-winged gulls. Alaska Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit Meeting, Fairbanks, Alaska.
- Gamble, J.B., C.L. Buck, S.D. Kildaw, and E.C. Murphy. 2003. Reproductive success of glaucous-winged gulls on Kodiak Island, Alaska. Pacific Seabird Group Meeting, Parksville, British Columbia.
SpecialtyCalifornia Naturalist Program
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Natural Resources, General
- Alternative Uses of Land
- Weather and Climate
- Outdoor Recreation
- Aquatic and Terrestrial Wildlife
- Conservation of Biological Diversity
- Interact With the Media
- Computer - Web Site Support
- Sustainable Natural Ecosystems
- Science Literacy in Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Nutrition