UCCE Master Gardeners of Amador County
Garden Tips for July
- Watering and pest control are top of the "To Do" list.
- Water after midnight and before 10am to reduce the chance of fungal infection and to conserve moisture.
- Pinch off the top pair of leaves on all chrysanthemum shoots longer than 5" to keep plants bushy and produce more flowers.
- Cut spent berry canes to the ground; tie up and fertilize new canes.
- Cut canna stems to the ground as they finish flowering; new stems will continue to appear.
- Prune fruit bushes again.
- Harvest vegetables promptly to encourage continued production.
- Dig and divide over-crowded irises and bulbs when the foliage dies off.
- Remove spent flowers of daylilies, roses, and other bloomers a they finish flowering.
- Fertilize roses.
- Cut back lavender after flowering to promote a second bloom.
- Trim faded crape myrtle flowers for more fall bloom.
- Pick up dropped fruit to prevent brown rot. Clean around trees.
- Pick caterpillars off vegetables and flowers. Spray with Bt if needed.
- Spray off aphids with water or use insecticidal soap.
- Pull weeds when they first appear.
- Check dates of Master Gardener classes.
Tree Mortality in the Sierra Nevada workshop
- Date: Wednesday, August 10, 2016
- Location: Morning/Inside: Amador County Board of Supervisors, 810 Court Street, Jackson
- Location: Afternoon/Outside: Peterson Ranch Subdivision County Roads, Pine Grove, CA (Behind the Dollar General Store.)
Download Workshop Flyer for details and agenda.
Got a Gardening Question?
- Office hours: 10-Noon, Tuesday—Thursday
- Phone: 209-223-6838
- Email: email@example.com
- On-line: Ask a Master Gardener
- Walk-ins welcome: 12200-B Airport Road, Jackson, CA 95642
Bring a sample for identification, or drop by to ask questions. If you bring a sample, please put plant material in a plastic bag. For insect identification, don't bring them alive! Please preserve insects in a container with rubbing alcohol, or by freezing. Samples may be left at the front desk of the GSA building Monday through Thursday.
Upcoming Classes & Events
Would you like a Monthly Newsletter and up-to-date information about Public Education Classes (changes) and Events from the Master Gardeners? Sign up on our Electronic Email Distribution List.