UCCE Master Gardeners of Amador County
Garden Tips for April
- Pinch chrysanthemums back to 6 inches every month through July.
- Trim dead flowers but not leaves, from spring bulbs.
- Mulch cane berries, cut out all old canes and reset new canes in twine.
- Cultivate and pull weed seedling now to prevent bloom.
- Check irrigation system and perform maintenance as needed.
- Check hoses as needed for fire protection.
- Prune apples, pears, any shoot tips with powdery mildew or fireblight; azaleas, rhododendrons, flowering fruit trees after bloom if needed, spring flowering shrubs, frost-damaged growth.
- Mow or cultivate grass around orchards to discourage thrips and plant bugs.
- Best time for cleft graphing.
- Control slugs, snails and earwigs with traps or barriers.
- Thoroughly clean debris from ponds, fountains and bird baths.
- Check dates of Master Gardener classes.
Got a Gardening Question?
- Office hours: 10-Noon, Tuesday—Thursday
- Phone: 209-223-6838
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- On-line: Ask a Master Gardener
- Walk-ins welcome: 12200-B Airport Road, Jackson, CA 95642
Bring a sample for identification, or drop by to ask questions. If you bring a sample, please put plant material in a plastic bag. For insect identification, don't bring them alive! Please preserve insects in a container with rubbing alcohol, or by freezing. Samples may be left at the front desk of the GSA building Monday through Thursday.
Upcoming Classes & Events
Would you like a Monthly Newsletter and up-to-date information about Public Education Classes (changes) and Events from the Master Gardeners? Sign up on our Electronic Email Distribution List.