UCCE Master Gardeners of Calaveras County
Gardening Tips for March
- Prune grapes and roses.
- Cleanup: remove mummy fruit and blighted limbs on stone fruit to reduce brown rot. Remove and destroy fallen leaves to reduce peach leaf curl.
- Mulch cane berries, cut out all old canes and reset new canes in twine.
- Cultivate and pull weeds now!
- If weather permits, prepare beds for planting by spading in compost an soil amendments.
- Check irrigation system and perform maintenance as needed.
- Divide and replant herbs.
- To prevent sunburn and borer problems, paint young tree trunks with water based interior white latex paint 1:1 with water.
- Check dates of Master Gardener classes.
Got a Gardening Question?
Calaveras County Master Gardeners are here to answer your gardening questions!
- Office hours: 10-Noon, Wednesdays
- 891 Mountain Ranch Road in San Andreas
- Phone: 209-754-2880
- On-line: Ask a Master Gardener
Bring a sample for identification, or drop by to ask questions. If you bring a sample, please put plant material in a plastic bag. For insect identification, don't bring them alive! Please preserve insects in a container with rubbing alcohol, or by freezing.
Each month we produce a newsletter with monthly to-do list, upcoming events and articles to help you garden in Calaveras County.
Read our January 2017 newsletter.
To subscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Master Gardener Calendar
Master Gardeners in the Press
Master Gardeners regularly contribute articles to local newspapers. See their latest gardening news and advice!