UCCE Master Gardeners of El Dorado County
The UCCE Master Gardeners of El Dorado County opened their Sherwood Demonstration Garden for the second Season on April 1st. They have held many gardening classes there with many more to come. Come out and enjoy the garden and get some great ideas for your landscape.
Hours of operation:
April 1, 2016 - October 31, 2016
Wed, Fri, Sat from 10am - 2pm
Closed entire day when temperatures are forecasted for 95F and above.
Garden Tips for October
- Clean out flower and vegetable gardens to discourage diseases and pests from overwintering in your beds.
- Rake leaves from ditches to make way for the rain that's coming.
- Re-program drip system timers for cooler weather and rain.
- Update your garden journal, noting what worked and what didn't work. Look around at the fall color you might want to plant for next year
- Mulch or mow leaves on your lawn and add to your compost pile - either an existing one or a new one.
- Apply a thick layer of compost to enrich your soil for spring planting.
- Apply mulch to bulbs and tubers left in the ground.
- Deadhead spent flowers.
- Lift tuberous begonias.
- Lift and divide dahlias, dust with sulfur before storing.
- Divide lilies.
- Cut back and divide spent perennial phlox asters.
- Cover compost bins with plastic tarps once the rains begin.
- Clean out bird houses and bird feeders.
- Cut old berry canes and tie the new canes to support wires. It's easy to identify the old canes now - they're turning brown.
- Finish pruning any fruit trees after the last fruit is removed.
- Check dates of Master Gardener classes.
Got a Gardening Question?
Master Gardeners of El Dorado County are here to answer your gardening questions!
- Office hours: 9-Noon, Tuesday—Friday
- Phone: 530-621-5512
- Email: email@example.com
- On-line: Ask a Master Gardener
- Walk-ins welcome: 311 Fair Lane, Placerville CA 95667
Bring a sample for identification, or drop by to ask questions. If you bring a sample, please put plant material in a plastic bag. For insect identification, don't bring them alive! Please preserve insects in a container with rubbing alcohol, or by freezing. Samples may be left at the main building from 1-5 p.m. Monday through Friday for a future call from a Master Gardener.
Master Gardener Calendar
Would you like a Monthly Newsletter and up-to-date information about Public Education Classes (changes) and Events from the Master Gardeners? Sign up on our Electronic Email Distribution List.