UCCE Master Gardeners of El Dorado County
Garden Tips for October
- Clean out flower and vegetable gardens to discourage diseases and pests from overwintering in your beds.
- Rake leaves from ditches to make way for the rain that's coming.
- Re-program drip system timers for cooler weather and rain.
- Update your garden journal, noting what worked and what didn't work. Look around at the fall color you might want to plant for next year
- Mulch or mow leaves on your lawn and add to your compost pile - either an existing one or a new one.
- Apply a thick layer of compost to enrich your soil for spring planting.
- Apply mulch to bulbs and tubers left in the ground.
- Deadhead spent flowers.
- Lift tuberous begonias.
- Lift and divide dahlias, dust with sulfur before storing.
- Divide lilies.
- Cut back and divide spent perennial phlox asters.
- Cover compost bins with plastic tarps once the rains begin.
- Clean out bird houses and bird feeders.
- Cut old berry canes and tie the new canes to support wires. It's easy to identify the old canes now - they're turning brown.
- Finish pruning any fruit trees after the last fruit is removed.
- Check dates of Master Gardener classes.
Home Gardener Survey
We are seeking your opinion on where, when, and what subjects should be taught at our free public education gardening classes. Help us understand how to best serve our community by filling out this brief online home gardener survey.
Got a Gardening Question?
Master Gardeners of El Dorado County are here to answer your gardening questions!
- Office hours: 9-Noon, Tuesday—Friday
- Phone: 530-621-5512
- Email: email@example.com
- On-line: Ask a Master Gardener
- Walk-ins welcome: 311 Fair Lane, Placerville CA 95667
Bring a sample for identification, or drop by to ask questions. If you bring a sample, please put plant material in a plastic bag. For insect identification, don't bring them alive! Please preserve insects in a container with rubbing alcohol, or by freezing. Samples may be left at the main building from 1-5 p.m. Monday through Friday for a future call from a Master Gardener.
Master Gardener Calendar
Would you like a Monthly Newsletter and up-to-date information about Public Education Classes (changes) and Events from the Master Gardeners? Sign up on our Electronic Email Distribution List.