UCCE Master Gardeners of El Dorado County
The UCCE Master Gardeners of El Dorado County opened their Sherwood Demonstration Garden for the second Season on April 1st. They have held many gardening classes there with many more to come. Come out and enjoy the garden and get some great ideas for your landscape.
Hours of operation:
April 1, 2016 - October 31, 2016
Wed, Fri, Sat from 10am - 2pm
Closed entire day when temperatures are forecasted for 95F and above.
Garden Tips for July
- Watering and pest control are top of the "To Do" list.
- Water after midnight and before 10am to reduce the chance of fungal infection and to conserve moisture.
- Pinch off the top pair of leaves on all chrysanthemum shoots longer than 5" to keep plants bushy and produce more flowers.
- Cut spent berry canes to the ground; tie up and fertilize new canes.
- Cut canna stems to the ground as they finish flowering; new stems will continue to appear.
- Prune fruit bushes again.
- Harvest vegetables promptly to encourage continued production.
- Dig and divide over-crowded irises and bulbs when the foliage dies off.
- Remove spent flowers of daylilies, roses, and other bloomers a they finish flowering.
- Fertilize roses.
- Cut back lavender after flowering to promote a second bloom.
- Trim faded crape myrtle flowers for more fall bloom.
- Pick up dropped fruit to prevent brown rot. Clean around trees.
- Pick caterpillars off vegetables and flowers. Spray with Bt if needed.
- Spray off aphids with water or use insecticidal soap.
- Pull weeds when they first appear.
- Check dates of Master Gardener classes.
Got a Gardening Question?
Master Gardeners of El Dorado County are here to answer your gardening questions!
- Office hours: 9-Noon, Tuesday—Friday
- Phone: 530-621-5512
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- On-line: Ask a Master Gardener
- Walk-ins welcome: 311 Fair Lane, Placerville CA 95667
Bring a sample for identification, or drop by to ask questions. If you bring a sample, please put plant material in a plastic bag. For insect identification, don't bring them alive! Please preserve insects in a container with rubbing alcohol, or by freezing. Samples may be left at the main building from 1-5 p.m. Monday through Friday for a future call from a Master Gardener.
Master Gardener Calendar
Would you like a Monthly Newsletter and up-to-date information about Public Education Classes (changes) and Events from the Master Gardeners? Sign up on our Electronic Email Distribution List.