UCCE Master Gardeners of El Dorado County
Garden Tips for September
- Compost disease-free annuals and vegetable crops that have finished producing.
- Cultivate and add compost to the soil for fall and winter vegetables and annuals.
- Dig, divide, and replant overgrown perennials as they finish blooming.
- Weed and amend beds before replanting.
- If not purchased pre-chilled, put tuilip, narcissus, and hyacinth bulbs in the refrigerator for 6 weeks prior to planting.
- Sow native bunch grass seed on bare slopes to prevent erosion.
- Mulch cane berries.
- Consider extending vegetable season with floating row cover, mulch, or plastic domes. (Gallon milk containers with the bottom removed work well.)
- Check dates of Master Gardener classes.
Home Gardener Survey
We are seeking your opinion on where, when, and what subjects should be taught at our free public education gardening classes. Help us understand how to best serve our community by filling out this brief online home gardener survey.
Got a Gardening Question?
Master Gardeners of El Dorado County are here to answer your gardening questions!
- Office hours: 9-Noon, Tuesday—Friday
- Phone: 530-621-5512
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- On-line: Ask a Master Gardener
- Walk-ins welcome: 311 Fair Lane, Placerville CA 95667
Bring a sample for identification, or drop by to ask questions. If you bring a sample, please put plant material in a plastic bag. For insect identification, don't bring them alive! Please preserve insects in a container with rubbing alcohol, or by freezing. Samples may be left at the main building from 1-5 p.m. Monday through Friday for a future call from a Master Gardener.
Master Gardener Calendar
Would you like a Monthly Newsletter and up-to-date information about Public Education Classes (changes) and Events from the Master Gardeners? Sign up on our Electronic Email Distribution List.