UCCE Master Gardeners of El Dorado County
The UCCE Master Gardeners of El Dorado County opened their Sherwood Demonstration Garden for the second Season on April 1st. They have held many gardening classes there with many more to come. Come out and enjoy the garden and get some great ideas for your landscape.
Fridays and Saturdays
9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Closed on rainy days or when temperatures reach over 95 degrees.
Garden Tips for May
- Set out traps for earwigs, slugs, and whitefly.
- Thin pit fruits at or before pit hardening.
- Thin apples when ½” diameter.
- Mow grass or cultivate soil around orchard to discourage thrips and plant bugs.
- Mulch around plants to control weeds and conserve moisture. Be sure to leave a small circle of bare soil around the base of each plant.
- Deep water trees and shrubs. Build water basins, but do not allow water to stand against the trunks.
- Prepare dahlia bed with rich soil.
- For continued bloom, cut off spent flowers.
- Hang strips of foil or CD’s in fruit trees to help deter birds.
- As spring=flowering shrubs finish blooming, prune to shape, removing old and dead wood.
- Trim hedges; lightly trim azaleas, fuchsias, bushier plants.
- Thoroughly clean debris from ponds, fountains and bird baths.
- Check dates of Master Gardener classes.
Train the Trainer Workshops
Tree Mortality - Replanting After the Trees Die
El Dorado Workshop: June 6, 9am - 4pm
Tuolumne Workshop: June 14, 9am - 4pm
See the Tree Mortality - Replanting After the Trees Die webpage for details.
Got a Gardening Question?
Master Gardeners of El Dorado County are here to answer your gardening questions!
- Office hours: 9-Noon, Tuesday—Friday
- Phone: 530-621-5512
- Email: email@example.com
- On-line: Ask a Master Gardener
- Walk-ins welcome: 311 Fair Lane, Placerville CA 95667
Bring a sample for identification, or drop by to ask questions. If you bring a sample, please put plant material in a plastic bag. For insect identification, don't bring them alive! Please preserve insects in a container with rubbing alcohol, or by freezing. Samples may be left at the main building from 1-5 p.m. Monday through Friday for a future call from a Master Gardener.
Master Gardener Calendar
Would you like a Monthly Newsletter and up-to-date information about Public Education Classes (changes) and Events from the Master Gardeners? Sign up on our Electronic Email Distribution List.