UCCE Master Gardeners of El Dorado County
The UCCE Master Gardeners of El Dorado County opened their Sherwood Demonstration Garden for the second Season on April 1st. They have held many gardening classes there with many more to come. Come out and enjoy the garden and get some great ideas for your landscape.
Second Saturday of each month from November - March
10 a.m. - 12
These hours coincide with Second Saturday's with Barry in the Veggie Garden
Closed on rainy days.
Garden Tips for January
- Keep an eye on the weather report - protect frost-tender plants when the temperature falls below 32 degrees.
- Divide perennials like daylilies and chrysanthemums. Prune crepe myrtles, cane berries, and roses, and clean-up trimmings.
- Prune plum, pluot, apple, and pear trees 15-20%; cherries 10%; and peaches 50%.
- Mulch, water, and cover tender plants to protect from frost. Be sure to remove coverings during the day.
- The birds stay in Northern California through the winter. Since flowers are scarce in most gardens now, it’s important to keep your feeder filled; clean and refill it every few days.
- Check dates of Master Gardener classes.
Got a Gardening Question?
Master Gardeners of El Dorado County are here to answer your gardening questions!
- Office hours: 9-Noon, Tuesday—Friday
- Phone: 530-621-5512
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- On-line: Ask a Master Gardener
- Walk-ins welcome: 311 Fair Lane, Placerville CA 95667
Bring a sample for identification, or drop by to ask questions. If you bring a sample, please put plant material in a plastic bag. For insect identification, don't bring them alive! Please preserve insects in a container with rubbing alcohol, or by freezing. Samples may be left at the main building from 1-5 p.m. Monday through Friday for a future call from a Master Gardener.
Master Gardener Calendar
Would you like a Monthly Newsletter and up-to-date information about Public Education Classes (changes) and Events from the Master Gardeners? Sign up on our Electronic Email Distribution List.