Gardening Tips for August
- Continue mulching to conserve soil moisture and control weeds.
- Keep harvesting vegetables for continued production.
- Do the final pruning of summer for fruit bushes.
- Control salt build-up on indoor plants; hose off the leaves and flush the soil with ample water.
- In a cool location indoors, start seeds of cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, bunching onion, and radicchio for over-wintering.
Up-to-Date Drought Information
California is in a serious drought! You've come to the right place for up-to-date drought information from University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources academics working in this area.
Click here to view Janet Hartin's talk on landscaping and gardening under drought and water limitations presented at the statewide Master Gardener Conference in October, 2014. Hartin Oct. 9, 2014 - Statewide MG Conference Talk
Click here to download Janet Hartin and Ben Faber's most recent drought publications:
Drought tips to keep landscape plants alive: Drought Landscape Recommendations, Hartin and Faber
Use of graywater in the landscape: Drought, Graywater, Hartin and Faber, Oct. 2014
Contact a UC Cooperative Master Gardener volunteer in Riverside County for more help in your own backyard and landscape! 951.683.6491 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Master Gardener Hotlines
Riverside County Master Gardeners are here to answer your gardening questions!
- Office hours: 9-Noon, Monday—Friday
- Phone: 951-683-6491
- Email: email@example.com
- Walk-ins welcome: 21150 Box Springs Rd., Ste. 202, Moreno Valley, CA 92557
And Indio Master Gardeners are here to answer your gardening questions!
- Office hours: 9-Noon, 1-4pm, Mondays
- Phone: 760-342-6437
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Walk-ins welcome: 81077 Indio Blvd., Ste. H, Indio, CA 92201
If submitting questions via email, please include as much information so we can properly assist you. Information that will help us help you (example: shrub):
- How do you water
- How often do you water
- When was it planted
- How much sun
Also, it would be helpful to give us what city and phone number to call you for more information.
Either Office - Bring a sample for identification, or drop by to ask questions. If you bring a sample, please put plant material in a plastic bag.
University of California Master Gardeners serving Riverside and other local counties are here to help you! Please do not hesitate to contact our helplines. Whether you have a question about how to save water in your landscape, what's damaging your plants, how to make and use compost in your own backyard, or how to add an edible or two to your front yard, we're here to help!