Up-to-Date Drought Information
California is in a serious drought! You've come to the right place for up-to-date drought information from University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources academics working in this area.
Click here to view Janet Hartin's talk on landscaping and gardening under drought and water limitations presented at the statewide Master Gardener Conference in October, 2014. Hartin Oct. 9 Final Statewide MG ConferenceTalk
Click here to download Janet Hartin and Ben Faber's most recent drought publications:
Contact a UC Cooperative Master Gardener volunteer in San Bernardino County for more help in your own backyard and landscape! 909.387.2182 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Take a Class! Join an Event!
October Gardening Tips
Its time to...
- Clean out flower and vegetable gardens to discourage diseases and pests from overwintering in your beds
- Re-program drip system timers for cooler weather and rain
- Mulch or mow leaves on your lawn and add to your compost pile - either an existing one or a new one
- Apply a thick layer of compost to enrich your soil for spring planting
- Fertilize indoor plants
- Fertilize persimmons and pomegranates before dormancy
- Direct seed cornflower, nasturtium, nigella, poppy, lupine, columbine, sweet pea, garden pea, and stock
- Seed for erosion control on slopes.
Master Gardener Helpline
Phone: (909) 387-2182
University of California Cooperative Extension (UCCE) Master Gardeners serving San Bernardino County are here to help you! Please do not hesitate to contact them via our helplines. They are trained volunteers eager to help!
Whether you have a question about how to save water in your landscape, what's damaging your plants, how to make and use compost in your own backyard, or how to add an edible or two to your front yard, they're here to assist you!
Need a Speaker?
UCCE Master Gardeners offer Power Point presentations on a wide variety of topics within three areas (Sustainable Landscaping, Food Production, and Healthy Communities). Please select one from the list below and email MG Coordinator Dona Jenkins at email@example.com
Please provide at least 60 days advance notice when requesting a speaker!
- Plant selection for beauty and water conservation
- Saving water in the landscape
- Making and using compost
- Preventing and reducing pests
- Energy-efficient landscapes
- Wildlife friendly landscapes
- Vegetable gardening
- Starting a community garden
- Starting a school garden
- How horticulture can make you happier and healthier