Up-to-Date Drought Information
California is in a serious drought! You've come to the right place for up-to-date drought information from University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources academics working in this area.
Click here to view Janet Hartin's talk on landscaping and gardening under drought and water limitations presented at the statewide Master Gardener Conference in October, 2014. Hartin Oct. 9 Final Statewide MG ConferenceTalk
Click here to download Janet Hartin and Ben Faber's most recent drought publications:
Drought tips to keep landscape plants alive: Drought_Landscape_Recommendations Hartin Faber
Use of graywater in the landscape: Drought.Graywater.Hartin and Faber Oct. 2014
Contact a UC Cooperative Master Gardener volunteer in San Bernardino County for more help in your own backyard and landscape! 909.387.2182 or email@example.com
Take a Class! Join an Event!
September Gardening Tips
Its time to...
- Compost disease-free annuals and vegetable crops that have finished producing
- Cultivate and add compost to the soil for fall and winter vegetables and annuals
- Time to seed for erosion control on slopesDig, divide, and replant overgrown perennials as they finish blooming
- Consider extending vegetable season with floating row cover, mulch, or plastic domes. (Gallon milk containers with the bottom removed work well.)
- Spray table grapes for powdery mildew
- Time to transplant cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and kale
- Cultivate and add compost to the soil for fall and winter vegetables and annuals.
Master Gardener Helpline
Phone: (909) 387-2182
University of California Cooperative Extension (UCCE) Master Gardeners serving San Bernardino County are here to help you! Please do not hesitate to contact them via our helplines. They are trained volunteers eager to help!
Whether you have a question about how to save water in your landscape, what's damaging your plants, how to make and use compost in your own backyard, or how to add an edible or two to your front yard, they're here to assist you!
Need a Speaker?
UCCE Master Gardeners offer Power Point presentations on a wide variety of topics within three areas (Sustainable Landscaping, Food Production, and Healthy Communities). Please select one from the list below and email MG Coordinator Dona Jenkins at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please provide at least 60 days advance notice when requesting a speaker!
- Plant selection for beauty and water conservation
- Saving water in the landscape
- Making and using compost
- Preventing and reducing pests
- Energy-efficient landscapes
- Wildlife friendly landscapes
- Vegetable gardening
- Starting a community garden
- Starting a school garden
- How horticulture can make you happier and healthier