Forestry/Fire Science and Natural Resource AdvisorCooperative Extension Sutter-Yuba Counties
142A Garden Highway
Yuba City, CA 95991-5512
Nevada County Office
Ph.D. Environmental Science, Policy, and Management, University of California at Berkeley. 2016
M.S. Biology: Post-mining Vegetation Restoration, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA. 2009
B.S. Biology and Environmental Studies, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA. 2004
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Forest / Range / Wildlife Commodities / Habitats - Other
- Watershed Protection and Management
- Protect Soil From Harmful Effects of Natural Elements
- Forest and Range Resources
- Management and Control of Forest and Range Fires
- Management and Sustainability of Forest Resources
- Alternative Uses of Land
- Weather and Climate
- Conservation of Biological Diversity
- Wilkin, KM; Ponisio, LC; Fry, D.; Collins, BM; Moody, T; Stephens, S. (2019). "Drivers of plant communities in forests with long restored fire regimes." In preparation
- Wilkin, KM (2018). Chaparral fuel-hazard reduction has drawbacks for biodiversity. Fire in California's ecosystems.J. Van Wagtendonkg. Oakland, CA, University of California Press. 568.
- Wilkin, KM; Ponisio, CP; Fry, DL; Tubbesing, C; Potts, J; Stephens, SL (2017). "Decade-long plant community responses to shrubland fuel-hazard reduction." Fire Ecology 13:2: 105-136.
- Boisramame, G; Thompson, SE; Maggi, K; Cavalli, J; Wilkin, KM.; Stephens, SL (2017). "Vegetation change during 40 years of repeated managed wildfires in the Sierra Nevada, California." Forest Ecology and Management 402: 241-252.
- Wilkin, KM.; Ackerly, D.; Stephens, SL. (2016). "Climate Change Refugia, Fire Ecology and Management." Forests 77(7): 1-14.
- Ponisio, CP; Wilkin, K; M'Gonigle, LKM; Kulhanek, K; Cook, L; Thorp, R; Griswold, T; Kremen, C (2016). "Pyrodiversity begets plant-pollinator community diversity." Global Change Biology: 1-15.
- Collins, BM; Lydersen, JM; Fry, DL; Wilkin, K; Moody, T; Stephens, SL (2016). "Variability in vegetation and surface fuels across mixed-conifer-dominated landscapes with over 40 years of natural fire." Forest Ecology and Management 381: 74-83.
- Wilkin, KM; Holland, VL; Keil, D; Schaffner, A (2013). "Mimicking fire for successful chaparral restoration." Madrono 60(3): 165-172.
- Wilkin, KM; Macon, D (2017). After the Fire – Tips for Rangeland Managers. The New Ranch Update. Yuba City, CA, University of California Cooperative Extension Sutter-Yuba. 7. 10/17/17. http://cesutter.ucanr.edu/newsletters/Ranch_Update71621.pdf
- Wilkin, KM (2017). Do fuel reduction treatments cause beetle mortality or resilience? Research Brief for Resource Managers.S. Frederick. Wildland Fire Science Laboratory, UC Berkeley, 137 Mulford Hall MC #3114, Berkeley CA 94720, California Fire Science Consortium. 2. 7/2017. https://static1.squarespace.com/static/545a90ede4b026480c02c5c7/t/5976814c2994ca3cecd9d7db/1500938572842/Wilkin_Stark_BarkBeetle_072017.RB.pdf
- Wilkin, KM; Keely, J; Witter, M; VanMagtem, E. (2017). Effects of Two Kinds of Fuel Treatments and Their Season after Ten Years in Northern CA Chaparral. Research Brief for Resource Managers.S. Frederick. California Fire Science Consortium. 2. 12/2017. https://static1.squarespace.com/static/545a90ede4b026480c02c5c7/t/5a61258cec212d185207f2dd/1516316044749/Wilkinetal2017_Effects_Two_Kinds_NorCalChap_final_RB.pdf
- Wilkin, KM (2016). California forest and shrubland ecosystem changes in relation to fire, fuel hazard, and climate change. Environmental Science, Policy, and Management. Berkeley, CA, University of California at Berkeley. Doctor of Philosophy, 114.
- Wilkin, K (2014). Where Fire is Working in California. Berkeley, CA, Department of Environmental Sciencey, Policy, and Management at UC Berkeley. September 29, 2014. https://ourenvironment.berkeley.edu/where-fire-working-california
- Ballenger, E; Wilkin, KK; Acree, L; Baccei, J; Whittaker, T; Babich, E (2011). 2010 Assessment of meadows in the Merced River corridor.U. Interior. Yosemite National Park, Division of Resource Management and Sciences. 170.
- Wilkin, KM (2009). Mimicking fire for post-mining restoration success at Rocky Canyon Quarry. Biological Sciences. San Luis Obispo, CA, California Polytechnic State University. M.S, 297. 9/2009. http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/theses/157