208 Fairground Road
Quincy, CA 95971
Ryan Tompkins is the UC Cooperative Extension Forest and Natural Resources Advisor for Plumas, Sierra, and Lassen counties and is a California Registered Professional Forester (No. 3108). His research interests include forest & fire ecology and management in the Sierra Nevada, silviculture for ecological restoration, and post-fire reforestation. His 18 year federal career included working as a forester and certified silviculturist with the USDA Forest Service and working in the Fire Effects program at the National Park Service. When he's not thinking about forested landscapes, he might be helping firewise communities or just enjoying a quiet moment in the Sierra Nevada backcountry.
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Forest / Range / Wildlife Commodities / Habitats - General
- Forest Trees and Products
- Forest and Range Resources
- Management and Control of Forest and Range Fires
- Management and Sustainability of Forest Resources
- Natural Resources, General
- Pest Management/Diseases
- Sustainable Natural Ecosystems
- Endemic and Invasive Pests and Diseases
- Knight, Clarke A.; Tompkins, Ryan E.; Wang, Jonathan A.; York, Robert; Goulden, Michael L.; Battles, John J. (2022). Accurate tracking of forest activity key to multi-jurisdictional management goals: A case study in California. Journal of Environmental Management. 302, p. 114083. January 15, 2022.
- North, Malcom P.; Tompkins, Ryan E.; Bernal, Alexis A.; Collins, Brandon M.; Stephens, Scott L.; York, Robert A. (2022). Operational resilience in western US frequent-fire forests. Forest Ecology and Management. 507, p. 120004. February 2, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2021.120004
- North, Malcolm; York, Rob; Collins, Brandon; Hurteau, Matthew; Jones, Gavin; Knapp, Eric; Kobsiar, Leda; McCann, Henry: Meyer; Stephens, Scott; Tompkins, Ryan; Tubbesing, Carmen (2021). Pyrosilviculture Needed for Landscape Resilience of Dry Western United States Forests. Journal of Forestry. 1 - 25. May 21, 2021.
- Moore, Ian B.; Collins, Brandon M.; Foster, Daniel E.; Tompkins, Ryan E.; Stevens, Jens T.; Stephens, Scott L. (2021). Variability in wildland fuel patches following high-severity fire and post-fire treatments in the northern Sierra Nevada. International Journal of Wildland Fire. 30 (12), pp. 921-932. October 27, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1071/WF20131
- North, Malcolm; Stevens, Jens; Greene, David; Coppoletta, Michelle; Knapp, Eric; Latimer, Andrew; Restaino, Christina; Tompkins, Ryan; Welch, Kevin; York, Rob; Young, Derek; Axelson, Jodi; Buckley, Tom; Estes, Becky; Hager, Rachel; Long, Jonathan; Meyer, Marc; Ostoja, Steven; Safford, Hugh; Shive, Kristen; Tubbesing, Carmen; Vice, Heather; Walsh, Dana; Werner, Chhaya; Wyrsch, Peter (2019). Tamm Review: Reforestation for resilience in dry western U.S. Forests. Forest Ecology and Management. 432, 209-224. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2018.09.007
Russell, Will; Tompkins, Ryan (2005). Estimating Biomass in Coastal Baccharis pilularis dominated shrub types. Fire Ecology. 1:1.
- Moore, I; Collins, B.; Tompkins, R. (2022). Managing fuel profiles in high severity burns. California Fire Science Consortium: Research Brief for Managers. https://www.cafiresci.org/research-publications-source/category/postfirefuels
- Tompkins, Ryan E.; Kocher, Susan (2022). New federal wildfire plan is ambitious – but the Forest Service needs more money and people to fight the growing risks. The Conversation. Jan 26, 2022. https://theconversation.com/new-federal-wildfire-plan-is-ambitious-but-the-forest-service-needs-more-money-and-people-to-fight-the-growing-risks-175639
- Tompkins, Ryan; North, Malcolm; Collins, Brandon (2022). Research Brief for Resource Managers: What is forest resilience and how do we measure it? California Fire Science Consortium. March 2022. https://www.cafiresci.org/research-publications-source/category/resilience
- McCann, H.; Butsic, V.; Huber-Stearns, H.; Kelly, E.; and Tompkins, R (2021). Building Capacity for Long-term Forest Stewardship. Public Policy Institute of California. July 6, 2021. https://www.ppic.org/blog/building-capacity-for-long-term-forest-stewardship/
- Knight, C.A; Tompkins, R.E.; Battles, J.J. (2021). California's 1-million-acre goal: tracking our progress. California Fire Science Consortium: Research Brief for Resource Managers. November 2021. https://www.cafiresci.org/research-publications-source/category/1millionacre
- McCann, H; Butsic, V.; Huber-Stearns, H; Kelly, E.; and Tompkins, R (2021). How Water Agencies Could Catalyze Headwater Forest Management. Public Policy Institute of California. August 2, 2021. https://www.ppic.org/blog/how-water-agencies-could-catalyze-headwater-forest-management/
- McCann, H; Butsic, V.; Huber-Stearns, H; Kelly, E.; and Tompkins, R (2021). How Wood Products Could Lower the Cost of Forest Management. Public Policy Institute of California. July 12, 2021. https://www.ppic.org/blog/how-wood-products-could-lower-the-cost-of-forest-management/
- Rosser, Annabelle; McCann, Henry; Butsic, Van; Huber-Stearns, Heidi; Kelly, Erin; Tompkins, Ryan (2021). Managing Family Forests Is Key to Managing Wildfire. Public Policy Institute of California. September 8, 2021. https://www.ppic.org/blog/managing-family-forests-is-key-to-managing-wildfire/
- Kocher, Susan; Tompkins, Ryan E. (2021). Moving beyond America’s war on wildfire: 4 ways to avoid future megafires. The Conversation. October 13, 2021. https://theconversation.com/moving-beyond-americas-war-on-wildfire-4-ways-to-avoid-future-megafires-168898
- Lennon, Amber; York, Robert; Tompkins, Ryan; North, Malcolm (2021). Using pyrosilviculture to make forests inclusive of fire at larger scales. California Fire Science Consortium: Research Brief for Resource Managers. December 2021. https://www.cafiresci.org/research-publications-source/category/postfirepyrosilviculture
- Tompkins, Ryan (2021). Wildfire Preparedness at Home & Other Vegetation Management Tools. Grazing For Change.T. Schohr. University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources. 15-16. May 2021. https://ucanr.edu/sites/forestry/files/357319.pdf
- Tompkins, Ryan; Stephens, Scott (2020). Brief on California Wildfires and Forest Restoration Challenges. Prepared for Congressional Staff. September 2020. https://ucanr.edu/sites/UCCE-Plumas-Sierra/files/343790.pdf
- York, R; Roughton, A.; Tompkins, R.; Kocher, S (2020). Burn permits need to facilitate - not prevent - "good fire" in California. California Agriculture. 74:2, 62-66. May 25, 2020.
- Tompkins, Ryan (2020). Post-Fire Considerations for Forest Landowners. Forest Landowner Fact Sheet for Plumas, Sierra, and Lassen Counties. September 2020. https://ucanr.edu/sites/UCCE-Plumas-Sierra/files/343145.pdf
- Tompkins, Ryan (2020). Reforestation in a burning climate. UCANR Green Blog. March 21, 2020. https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=39610
- Lile, David; Schohr, Tracy; Tompkins, Ryan; Getts, Thomas; O'Reilly, Kari; Brown, Samantha (2020). UC Cooperative Extension Plumas-Sierra Counties 2019 Annual Report. April 2020. https://ucanr.edu/sites/UCCE-Plumas-Sierra/files/324361.pdf
- Schohr, Tracy; Tompkins, Ryan; Getts, Tom; Wilkin, Kate; Wiley, Jen (2019). Invasive Weed Management Post-Wildfire: Closer Look at Camp Fire Invasive Weeds in Right-of-ways. Grasslands: Published quarterly by the California Native Grasslands Association. 29:3, 10-14.
- Gasser, Don; Hepner, Hannah; West, Matthew; McCourt, Sue; White, Chuck; Herrin, Becky; Tompkins, Ryan; Bauer, Ryan; Callaghan, Mike; Bowman, Chuck; Hollister, Zach; Martynn, Dan; Moghaddas, Jason; Graevs, Brad (2019). Plumas County Communities Wildfire Protection Plan. Plumas County Fire Safe Council. 18-20. July 2019.
- Tompkins, Ryan (2019). Thinning for defensible space: tree selection considerations. Plumas Underburn Cooperative Workshop: How to Prepare your Land for Fire. November 9, 2019. https://ucanr.edu/sites/UCCE-Plumas-Sierra/files/343146.pdf