The event was part of a national 4-H effort to promote the importance of science education. At the invitation of Richard Mahacek, UC Cooperative Extension 4-H advisor in Stanislaus County, Cardoza and the youth examined the properties of water-absorbing polymers or hydrogels, which can be used for agriculture, erosion control, soil management and environmental clean-ups.
Steve Nation particiapated and took photos.
Introduction to Advocacy Through Education training webinar
The online Introduction to Advocacy Webinars were offered in January and early February. You can watch a recording of the program.
As part of this webinar, Steve Nation, executive director of ANR Governmental & External Relations, explains the objectives of educating policymakers and the public about the ways all Californians benefit from ANR research and extension programs. He talks about the difference between advocacy (through education) and lobbying, and why it is important as public employees that ANR academics and staff avoid lobbying decisionmakers.
Mike Miller and Paula Hamilton lead participants through the six steps to advocacy: relationship building, education, forming partnerships, community mobilization, media advocacy and party politics.
ANR has formed the UC Animal Welfare Advisory Council, which is comprised of veterinarians, animal science professionals, and other experts from the University of California system, the California State University system, Colorado State University and the private sector.
The group will review issues of animal welfare related to agriculture and make science-based recommendations to improve the welfare of livestock and poultry.
Members of the council are as follows:
- Daniel M. Dooley (chair), UC Vice President for Agriculture and Natural Resources, Oakland
- Bennie Osburn (vice chair), Dean, School of Veterinary Medicine, UC Davis
- Alex Ardans, Professor Emeritus, School of Veterinary Medicine, UC Davis
- Richard Breitmeyer, State Veterinarian, California Department of Food and Agriculture, Sacramento
- Dave Daley, Professor, College of Agriculture, California State University, Chico
- Ron Faoro, Veterinarian and Past President of the California Veterinary Medical Association, Sacramento
- Temple Grandin, Professor of Animal Science, Colorado State University, Fort Collins
- Dave McCrystal, Veterinarian, Chair of Executive Board, American Veterinary Medical Association, Schaumburg, Ill.
- Joy Mench, Professor, Department of Animal Science, UC Davis
- Jim Reynolds, Veterinarian, School of Veterinary Medicine, UC Davis, and Chair of the American Veterinary Medical Association Animal Welfare Committee
- Andrew Thulin, Head, Department of Animal Science, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- Neal Van Alfen, Dean, College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences, UC Davis
- Rick Standiford (ex-officio), Associate Vice President, UC Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Oakland
- Steve Nation (ex-officio), Executive Director, Governmental and External Relations, UC Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Oakland
We're reusing the banners from the ANR Statewide Conference. By hanging them in the UC Office of the President lobby, we hope to educate our coworkers about what ANR does. Karey Windbiel-Rojas of IPM also let us borrow a kiosk, which people are using.