Balance your Thanksgiving feast with a pretty parfait on Black Friday, which just so happens to be National Parfait Day! Choose a parfait below or create one of your own.
1 can low-sodium pumpkin (about 15 ounces)
3 cups fat-free or low-fat vanilla yogurt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup rice crisps
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup brown (or white) sugar (packed)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a blender or with a fork, blend the pumpkin until smooth.
- Mix pumpkin, yogurt, and spices in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the granola ingredients: raisins, quick cooking oats, rice crisps, oil, and sugar.
- Spread granola on a baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Let the granola cool down until it hardens. Then, break it apart or crush it into small pieces.
- Spoon the pumpkin into 6 medium-sized glasses or bowls.
- Put granola on top of the pumpkin in each glass or bowl. Spoon the pumpkin and granola in layers until all have been added to a glass or bowl.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Strawberry Banana Parfait
1/2 medium ripe banana, mashed
1/8 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup plain non-fat yogurt
1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1/2 cup bran and wheat flakes ready-to-eat cereal
1. Stir banana and vanilla into yogurt and combine well.
2. In a 10-12 ounce glass, alternately layer the yogurt-banana mixture, strawberries and cereal.
3. Serve immediately and enjoy.
Jean's Banana Pudding Parfait
8 ginger snap cookies (crushed)
7 medium ripe bananas (sliced thin)
1 cup nonfat milk
1 1-oz box instant sugar-free, fat-free vanilla pudding
1 1/4 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fat-free frozen whipped topping (thawed)
8-oz parfait cups or drinking glasses
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon for garnish (optional)
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and pudding mix; blend well (about 2 minutes).
2. Add yogurt and vanilla extract; blend until smooth.
3. Stir the thawed whipped topping into the mixture.
4. Line the bottom of the parfait cups with a teaspoon of crumbled ginger snaps.
5. Layer 6 banana slices on top of the cookies; then 2 tbsp of the yogurt mixture on top. Repeat with another layer of the ginger snaps, bananas, and yogurt mixture.
6. Top with cinnamon or crushed cookie for garnish.
7. Cover and chill in refrigerator.
Source: What's Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl