- Author: Susana C. Bruzzone-Miller
The first week-long 4-H Summer Camp at HAREC kicked off today. Day 1 went off without a hitch thanks to our intern, Chris Massa. A diverse group of youth-19 in all and ages 9-16 enjoyed a hands-on day at the farm. Sustainable You! Summer Camp, a program created by Utah State University, is designed to help youth understand what it means to be sustainable through fun activities based around the five major areas of sustainability: land, food, air, energy, and water.
Today's theme-Land inspired youth to:
- Differentiate between trash, recycling, and compost
- Learn the value of preserved open space
- List essential resources provided by natural land (water, air, soil, food)
- Learn how to vermicompost and create a vermicompost bin