- Author: Jeannette E. Warnert
The livestream will include workshops on soil health, long-term and strategic research and innovative educational systems.
The research program is held the first day of the internationally acclaimed EcoFarm Conference at the Asilomar Conference Center in Pacific Grove.
Funding to live broadcast the research symposium was provided by USDA NIFA. In addition to UC Agriculture and Natural Resources (UC ANR) Kearney Agricultural Research and Extension Center, the symposium webcast is hosted by the Organic Farming Research Foundation.
Viewing the webcast is free, but requires advance registration. To register click here. Remote attendees will see the presentations and listen to a live broadcast of the speakers. Because the webcast is from a live conference, exact start and end times cannot to guaranteed and the program is subject to change.
Agenda (All times are Pacific Time)
9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
Opening Keynote and Thematic Presentations
- André Leu, IFOAM / Organics International President. The Vital Role of Research to Advance Organic Agriculture Worldwide.
- Mathieu Ngouajio, USDA/NIFA National Program Leader in Cropping Systems. USDA- NIFA support for Organic Agriculture Research, Education and Extension.
10:30 a.m. – 12 noon
- Anthony Yannarell, University of Illinois. Management affects the weed suppression potential of soil microorganisms and green manures
- James Stapleton, UC ANR Integrated Pest Management advisor. Advances in Biosolarization Technology to Improve Soil Health and Organic Control of Soilborne Pests
- Doug O'Brien, Doug O'Brien Agricultural Consulting. Trends in soilborne disease on two long-term organic vegetable farms in the west.
- Moderator: Heather Darby, University of Vermont
1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Long-term and Strategic Research
- Amélie Gaudin, UC Davis, Long-term research in organic system at Russell Ranch: Results and opportunities to build sustainable and resilient systems
- Randy Jackson, University of Wisconsin. The Wisconsin Integrated Cropping Systems Trial: 26 years of research in agricultural sustainability
- Diana Jerkins, Organic Farming Research Foundation. Assessment of Future Organic Research Needs
- Moderator: Mark Lipson, UC Santa Cruz
2:45 p.m. – 4:15 p.m.
Innovative Educational Systems
- Damien Parr, UC Santa Cruz. Integrating undergraduate interns in organic farming research and beginner farmer programming at the University of California, Santa Cruz
- John Hendrickson, University of Wisconsin. Coordinating a Three-Ring Circus with Lions and Cubs: Beginning Grower Training Programs at the University of Wisconsin
- Raul Villanueva, Texas A&M. Linking Organic Farmers and Students On Organic Production through Small Projects in South Texas
- Moderator: Mark Van Horn, UC Davis
Please connect to the webinar 10 minutes in advance, as the webinar program will require you to download software. To test your connection in advance, go here. You can either listen via your computer speakers or call in by phone (toll call). Java needs to be installed and working on your computer to join the webinar. If you are running Mac OSU with Safari, please test your Java at http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp prior to joining the webinar, and if it isn't working, try Firefox or Chrome. Find more detailed system requirements here.