- Author: Chris M. Webb
Ventura County Cooperative Extension’s Monique Myers has written a Green Sheet titled “Drought Tolerant Plants”.
In addition to the benefits of drought tolerant plants, Dr. Myers explains general drought information; history on the use of drought tolerant plants; as well as the characteristics, selections and maintenance of these plants.
Benefits of drought tolerant plants include:
- Lower water bills
- Reduced water use
- Attractive plants with less maintenance
- More wildlife habitat
- Less plant disease and more pest resistance
- Deeper roots help to stabilize slopes
- More groundwater recharge
- Less polluted runoff flowing to the ocean
Other Green Sheets on a variety of green subjects can be found here.
Drought tolerant plants such as this Red Bird of Paradise (Caesalpinia pulcherrima) lend a colorful tone to this Southern California garden.