Employee comments sought on adding small businesses to purchasing policy
The University of California Office of the President invites comments on a proposed revision to Presidential Policy UC-PS-20-0489-BUS-43 Purchases of Goods and Services; Supply Chain Management. The proposed revision is to include the Small Business First Program.
The Small Business First Program is designed to address the following:
- Support existing policy for awarding 25% Economically and Socially Responsible spend annually to small and diverse-owned businesses (see UC Sustainable Practices Policy)
- Take advantage of California Public Contract Code Section 10508.5 that allows the University to award purchase agreements valued up to $250,000 to a certified small business without being competitively bid, so long as the UC obtains price quotations from two or more certified small businesses
- Bring procurement practices further in line with the University's overall mission and values
- Strengthen the small business community, which is the engine of California's economy, given that 99.8% of California's businesses are small and employ 48.8% of California's private workforce. For every $100 spent at a small business, approximately $68 stays in California
- Prepare UC to lead the way in California's economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic and economic downturn. Statewide, as of November 25, 2020, the number of small businesses decreased by 30.7% compared to January 2020. As the third largest employer in the state, UC supports 1 in 46 of all California jobs and contributes $32.8B annually to gross state product. Additional spend from UC could be the lifeline small businesses need to survive and thrive.
The Small Business First Program also includes the following:
- Exclusions for UC Health as well as Design & Construction
- Exemption for federally funded purchases
The proposed policy is posted here: https://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/Administration/Business_Operations/Controller/Administrative_Policies_-_Business_Contracts/Policy_and_administrative_handbooks/ANR_Administrative_Handbook/Recent_Updates.
If you have any questions or if you wish to comment, please contact Robin Sanchez at email@example.com, no later than April 15, 2021. Please indicate “BFB-BUS-43” in the subject line.