Posts Tagged: Staff Assembly
One of UC ANR Staff Assembly's goals is to foster an understanding of ANR's mission by providing learning and other opportunities to increase the exchange of knowledge in all aspects of the ANR community. With the volunteer help of ANR staff members, Staff Assembly has created two new committees: “Wellness” and “Learning and Development.” To date, ANR has not had a systemwide, employees wellness program to foster employee well-being and health awareness.
UCANR Staff Assembly Wellness subcommittee members:
- Austin Cantrell, Nutrition Program Coordinator
- Shawnice Sellers, Admin. Asst. II
- Christopher Wong, CES II
- Alyssa Rodriguez, Human Resources Generalist
- Anne Schellman, Urban IPM Educator
- Kaela Plank, Nutrition Policy Institute, SNAP-Ed specialist
- Wylie Skillman, UC-CalFresh Nutrition Educator
- Leah Sourbeer, Community Nutrition Program Supervisor
- Jeannette Warnert, Communications Specialist, Wellness Chair
These volunteer ANR staff members represent a crucial and essential component of ANR Staff Assembly. The committee's purpose is “to support and improve the health, well-being, and quality of life of ANR employees by promoting initiatives and programs that foster healthy workplace environments, empower employees to adopt healthy habits, and strengthen our sense of community.” The quote was taken out of their mission draft statement. The committee members will meet, discuss and execute ANR's Wellness mission statement, program priorities, collaborate with the Academic Assembly, and promote through Staff Assembly's network of Staff Ambassadors all wellness events and activities.
UCANR Staff Assembly Learning and Development subcommittee members:
- Christina Becker, Nutrition Policy Institute, Berkeley
- Phoebe Harpainter, researcher with Nutrition Policy Institute, Berkeley
- Dustin Flavell, Sierra Foothill REC Superintendent
- Skyler Peterson, Intermountain REC, SRA
- Namita Kansal, CSIT Project/Portfolio Manager, Davis
- Alexxis Rudich, Office Asst. III, Merced
- Elena Lopez, CES II, Imperial County
- Nikolai Schweitzer, Sierra Foothill REC, SRA
The mission of the Staff Assembly Learning and Development Committee is to significantly increase awareness of available learning and development resources to staff members, facilitate learning and development collaboration and connection across UC ANR staff at all levels, and directly work with leadership to facilitate opportunities for impactful mentorship and sustained staff member career success. The committee will be working with ANR learning and development coordinator Jodi Azulai concerning program development and supporting staff-proposed ideas and solutions.
ANR Staff Assembly Council would like to sincerely thank the volunteers for their time and effort as they participate on these two committees. All ANR staff members are encouraged to participate in Staff Assembly functions and/or activities, please contact us through our website: staffassembly.ucanr.edu.
The UC ANR Staff Assembly has established a scholarship program that is available to all UC ANR staff employees and county-paid employees. The scholarship provides financial assistance to UC ANR staff to pursue career interests, develop new career paths, and address knowledge or skill gaps needed to reach professional development goals.
Scholarships may be used for
- Courses/tuition/registration fee for required certification(s).
- Courses/tuition/registration required for degree attainment if related to current position or career development.
- Registration fees for seminars and workshops (excluding travel).
- Books and materials for career development (as required by selected course/workshop etc.).
Up to $499 is available, depending on the amount of eligible applications received. Only successfully completed training activities will be approved. Applicants must provide proof of completion with a passing grade for courses or seminars.
This year's award dates are for courses taken between April 16, 2018, and Oct. 31, 2018. Deadline for applications is close of business Oct. 31, 2018.
For more information and the application form, visit http://staffassembly.ucanr.edu/Scholarships.
During the last cycle, Staff Assembly doubled the number of scholarship awards offered – six people received scholarship reimbursements, ranging from $494-$499 each. The recipients were:
- Christina Becker, lab asst. 3, Nutrition Policy Institute
- Lea Corkidi, staff research associate 2, UCCE San Diego
- Ria Debiase, Pest Management Guidelines coordinator, IPM Statewide Program
- Jerry Harris, administrative services officer, UCCE San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara
- Kim Ingram, HR analyst III, Academic Human Resources
- Rhett Woerly, facilities management specialist 3, UC ANR Facilities Planning and Management
Here is what the scholarship recipients are saying about the program:
When Ria Debiase was asked if she would apply for a scholarship again she replied, “Yes. As I will be entering grad school while working as a UC employee, I appreciate any help I can get.”
Lea Corkidi heard about the program at an all-staff meeting in her office. She definitely plans on applying for funds again in the future and absolutely recommends the scholarship program to peers and colleagues!
Rhett Whoerly took courses related to his Construction Management Certificate and also plans on applying for scholarship funds in the future.
The Staff Assembly Council and the Scholarship Award sub-committee congratulates all the recipients.
We are so happy to be able to provide these reimbursement scholarships and hope that more employees take advantage of this program.