Hero Image

Training Requirement

Any person who prepares or packages cottage food must complete a food processor course within three months of becoming registered or permitted and every three years during operation. The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) has identified training that you may take that will satisfy the training requirement specified in California Health and Safety Code section 114365.2(d).

Cottage food operators (CFOs), their employee, and any household member that is involved in the preparation or packaging of cottage foods may take one of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) accredited food handler courses that are currently required for retail food facility food handlers. The courses are available on-line or via a classroom in a variety of languages for a minimal cost. After successfully completing the course, you will receive a food handler card or certificate, which you need to retain as proof that you completed the required training. You must present a copy of this card
or certificate for each person involved in preparing cottage foods to your local enforcement agency upon their request, to verify that the training requirement has been completed. Additionally, CFOs and their employees must complete the accredited food handler course every three years during operation.

You can access a list of available food-handler training courses at the following website: