TIPS FOR CREATING A FAMILY MEAL ROUTINE:
- Keep it simple. Family meals only need family members + food!
- Find days during the week when family members are usually home together when a meal is happening. It doesn’t need to be dinner – any meal can be done as a family.
- Be consistent. Try to hold family meals on the same days and times each week when you can. This helps everyone know to expect it. It also helps make the planning easier.
- Make it easy. Make foods that are easy to prepare and serve. Try putting dishes on the table for “family style” serving. Everyone can dish their own. It’s less work for you.
- No table, no problem. If you don’t have a table big enough for everyone, try doing meals “picnic style” on the floor. Even if parents eat at the table and the kids sit and eat on the floor, everyone can still enjoy time together.
- Let’s talk! Use conversation starters to help making talking easier. Here are some to get started. See the Additional Resources for links to more.
- What were you good at today?
- If you could have one super power, what would it be?
- What was your favorite part of the day today?
- What are you looking forward to doing tomorrow?
- What do you know today that you didn’t know yesterday?
- What would you change about your day today?
- What was something you did today that was hard for you?