Walter Joseph Bentley
9240 S. Riverbend Ave.
Parlier, CA 93648
Statewide IPM Program
10/1994-Present IPM Entomologist, University of California, Kearney Agricultural Center, Parlier, California
1977-10/1994 Entomology Farm Advisor, University of California Cooperative Extension, Kern County, Bakersfield, California
1974-1977 Entomologist, Colorado Dept. of Agriculture Division of Biological Control, Palisade, Colorado
1972-1974 Graduate research assistant, Colorado State University
1970-1972 Entomologist, United States Army Ft. Sam Houston, San Antonio, Texas
Entomological Society of America
Acarological Society of America
Pacific Coast Entomological Society
Professional Activities and Awards
Extension presentations (1980-present), 1000+.
Professional Society presentations (1980-present): 75
Refereed Publications (1980-present) 58
Book Contributions (1980-present) 21
Research Reports (1980-present) 130
Popular Press (1980-present) 204
International Lifetime Achievement Award in IPM, 7th IPM Symposium, Memphis Tennessee (2012)
Lifetime Achievement Award in IPM, Association of Applied IPM Ecologists (2012)
Distinguish Service Award in Extension, UC DANR (2011)
Integrated Pest Management Team Award Entomological Society of America and Pacific Branch of the Entomological Society of America (2008)
IPM Innovator Award 2008 California Department of Pesticide Regulation
Excellence for Integrated Pest Management Award Pacific Branch of the Entomological Society of America (2003)
Past President Pacific Branch Entomological Society of America (2008/2009)
Past President Western Orchard Pest Management Conference (2007)
International Development Mission to Kosovo, Serbia 2004 and 2005
Almond Board Environmental Task Force (1999)
IPM Study Exchange University of Llieda, Spain (1999)
Past President, Southern Valley Toastmasters (1983-84)
Past President, San Joaquin Entomology Association (1982-83)
Study exchange to the Philippines, Rotary International (1982)
Stone Fruit Pest Management Alliance Management Team (2000-2007)
Almond Pest Management Alliance Management Team. (1999-2005)
PI on research projects with current grant support (FY 2000-2009) over $1,000,000 from sources including California Specialty Crops Grant, California Tree Fruit Agreement, Almond Board of California, California Pistachio Commission, and California Table Grape Commission, UC Smith/Lever Program.
Develop and extend research based pest management information on deciduous fruit and nut crops in California. My goal is to develop Integrated Pest Management (IPM) programs which emphasize knowledge of pest and beneficial arthropod biology, and to utilize natural, cultural, biological and selective pesticide control techniques in reducing costs to farmers while maintaining crop quality and food safety.
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Plant Commodities and Products
- Fruit and Nut Crop
- Fruit Crops - Other
- Raisin Grapes
- Table Grapes
- Wine Grapes
- Deciduous Tree Fruits
- Peaches - Cling
- Plants and Their Systems
- Insects, Mites, and Other Arthropods Affecting Plants
- Biological Control of Pests Affecting Plants
- Integrated Pest Management Systems
Bentley, W. J., K. Daane, et al. (2011). Pseudococcus mealybugs (Grape, Obscure and Longtailed Mealybugs. Grape Pest Management, 3rd Edition (in press).L. Bettiga, W. Bentley and L. Varela. University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources Publication 3343.
Varela, L.G. and W.J. Bentley, 2011. Vineyard Pest Identification and Monitoring Cards. University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources Publication 3532.
Zou, Y., K. Daane, W. Bentley, J. Millar. (2010). Synthesis and bioassay of racemic and chiral trans-?-necrodyl isobutyrate, the sex pheromone of the grape mealybug Pseudococcus maritimus. . J. Agric. Food Chem 58: 4977-4982.
Bentley, W.J. 2009. The integrated control concept and its relevance to current integrated pest management in fresh market Grapes. Pest Managment Science 65, 1298-1304.
Pickel, C., W.J. Bentley, J.K. Hasey, and K.R. Day. 2009. Insects and mites (Revised). UCIPM Pest Management Guidelines: Pests of Peach. Ohlendorf, B. and M.L. Flint, editors. UC ANR Publication 3389.
- Bentley, W. (2009). Using mating disruption to reduce use of organophosphate insecticides in peaches and nectariens. Conference Proceedings 2009 California Plant and Soil Conference,
Bentley, W.J., L.G. Varela, F.G. Zalom, R.J. Smith, A.H. Purcell, P.A. Phillips, D.R. Haviland, K.M. Daane, and M.C. Battany. 2008. UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines for Grape, Insects and Mites: Revised 2008 . Ohlendorf, B., and M.L. Flint, editors. UC ANR Publication 3448.
Haviland, D.R., W.J. Bentley, and K.M. Daane. 2005. Hot-water treatments for control of Planococcus ficus (Homoptera: Pseudococcidae) on dormant grape cuttings. J. Econ. Entomol. 98(4):1109-1115.
- Grafton-Cardwell, E.E., L.D. Godfrey, W.E. Chaney, W.J. Bentley. 2005. Various novel insecticides are less toxic to humans, more specific to key pests. Cal. Ag. 59(1):29-34.
Pickel, C., W.J. Bentley, J.H. Connell, R. Duncan, and M. Viveros. 2004. Seasonal guide to environmentally responsible pest management practices in almonds. UC ANR Leaflet 21619. 7 pp.
- Bentley, W., S. Steffan, S. Johnson, and G. VanSickle. 2004. Integrated pest management of arthropod pests in stone fruits. IOBC/WPRS Bulletin 27(8):45-48.
- Godfrey, K.E., K.M. Daane, W.J. Bentley, R.J. Gill, and R. Malakar-Kuenen. 2002. Mealybugs in California Vineyards. UC ANR Publication 21612.
- Pickel, C. J. Hasey, W. Bentley, W.H. Olson, and J. Connell. 2002. Pheromones control oriental fruit moth and peach twig borer in cling peaches. Cal. Ag. 56(5):170-176.
- Almond: UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines
- Almond: UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines-Print
- Apple: UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines
- Apricot: UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines
- DEGREE-DAYS:THE CALCULATION AND USE OF HEAT UNITS IN PEST...
- Fig: UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines
- Grape Pest Management—Third Edition-Print
- Grape: UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines
- Integrated Pest Management for Stone Fruits
- Leafrollers on Ornamental and Fruit Trees: Pest Notes for...
- Mealybugs in California Vineyards
- Nectarine: UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines
- Organic Apple Production Manual
- Peach: UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines
- Peppers: UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines
- Pistachio: UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines
- Plum: UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines
- Pomegranate: UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines
- Seasonal Guide to Enviro. Resp. Pest Management Pract. in...
- Seasonal Guide To Environmentally Responsible Pest Mgmt in...
- Seasonal Guide to Environmentally Responsible Pest Mgmt....
- Tarjetas de identificacion y monitoreo de plagas de la vid...
- Vineyard Pest Identification and Monitoring Cards
- Walnut: UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines
California Agriculture Article Contributions
- New controls investigated for vine mealybug
- Sampling program for grape mealybugs improves pest management
- In the San Joaquin Valley, mating disruption of codling moth has mixed results
- On some tree species, annual sprays may control western poplar clearwing moth
- Brown-bagging Granny Smith apples on trees stops codling moth damage
- In the San Joaquin Valley, cotton aphids have become resistant to commonly used pesticides
- Improved now egg traps
- Managing spider mites in almonds with pesticide-resistant predators
- Cultural management of the navel orangeworm by winter sanitation
- Controlling ants in almond orchards
- Large-scale releases of pesticide-resistant spider mite predators
- Monitoring and modeling oriental fruit moth in California