- Author: Kathy Keatley Garvey
(Editor's Note: An indepth story on the UC Davis award winners is pending.)
Rosenheim won the Distinction in Student Mentoring Award, and Gillung, the Student Leadership Award.
They will be honored at the PBESA meeting, themed "Practical Solutions Through Science and Industry Partnerships," set June 10-13 at the Atlantis Casino Resort, Reno.
PBESA President Brad Higbee reported that the branch received 31 nomination packets for 13 different awards. Nominees represented nine different institutions across six U.S. states and two other countries. Winners were selected by a diverse group of 36 anonymous judges from PBESA, he said.
The other recipients:
- Pacific Branch C. W. Woodworth Award: Roger Vargas, USDA ARS, Hilo, Hawaii
- Award for Excellence in Teaching: William Walton, University of California, Riverside
- Award for Excellence in Extension: David Haviland, University of California, Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Award for Excellence in Integrated Pest Management: Alan Knight, USDA ARS, Wapato, Wash.
- Systematics, Evolution, and Biodiversity Award: No awardee this year
- Physiology, Biochemistry and Toxicology Award: Jeffrey Fabrick, USDA ARS, Maricopa, Ariz.
- Medical, Urban and Veterinary Entomology Award: Alec Gerry, University of California, Riverside
- Plant-Insect Ecosystems Award: Theresa Pitts-Singer, USDA ARS, Logan, Utah
- Excellence in Early Career: Amber Tripodi, USDA ARS, Logan, Utah
- John Henry Comstock Graduate Student Award: Adekunle Adesanya, Washington State University
- Entomology Team Work Award: led by Doug Walsh of Washington State University and including Sally O'Neal, Erik Johansen, Shane Johnson, Mark Waggoner, Harvey Yoshida, Jamey Thomas, and Mike Lees. "Pest and Pollinator Management Team"
PBESA represents 11 states, seven U.S. territories, and parts of Canada and Mexico.