The Yolo County Master Gardener's Website provides University of California research based information and assistance to home gardeners. Ask a question, attend a public class or find information through our free publications.
For more information about the Yolo County Master Gardener Program call: (530) 666-8143
September in the Garden
Time to Plant
- Perennials such as salvia, lavender, columbine, Shasta daisies, asters. Visit your nursery or community plant sales for inspiration.
- Sweet peas by this month to ensure sprouting of seedlings prior to the rainy season.
- Cool season annuals such as snap dragons, pansies, and violas
- Ranunculus and anemone tubers for spring bloom.
Vegetables & Herbs
- Directly seed for lettuce, turnips, radishes, and spinach.
- Transplant seedlings or purchased plants of perennial herbs, Brussels sprouts, lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, peas, and beets.
- Harvest tomatoes, carrots, chard, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, melons, and squash.
Trees & Shrubs
- This is a good month to plant trees and shrubs as the cooler and rainier months approach.
|Fall for Flowering Bulbs||9/18/2014|
|Fall Plant Sale||9/27/2014|
|Fall Plant Sale and Workshops||10/4/2014|
Gardening with Limited Water
Learn the best ways to care for your plants during this drought. Either select the link from the top navigation above or click here for links to helpful information about using less water in your garden.