The UC Master Gardener's Website provides University of California research based information and assistance to home gardeners. Ask a question, attend a public class or find information through our free publications......Enjoy!
For more information about the Master Gardener Program in Yolo County call: (530) 666-8737.We are UC ANR video
Norton Hall Demo Garden
Yolo County Master Gardeners were busy this autumn replacing the garden beds outside of the Yolo County Agricultural Extension Office at 70 Cottonwood Drive in Woodland also known as Norton Hall.
Download PowerPoint presentation of Plant list
Gardening with Limited Water
Learn the best ways to care for your plants during this drought. Either select the link from the top navigation above or click here for links to helpful information about using less water in your garden.
June in the Garden
Check drip irrigation system. Repair as needed.
Deeply water squash, tomatoes, melons, and cucumbers.
Water early in the day to minimize diseases and conserve water.
Water shrubs and trees slowly and deeply at the drip line. Trees less than 1-2 years will need watering at7-10 day intervals.
Keep Compost Pile as damp as a wrung out sponge.
Re-mulch trees; keep 6 inches away from trunk.
Keep fertilizing roses; mulch to conserve water.
Apply chelated iron to yellowing leaves with green veins.
Give second feeding to camellias and azaleas.
Monitor squash bugs on cole crops ands quash.
Use a strong blast of water or insecticidal soap for aphids.
Check roses for rust; spray with fungicide according to label.
Check for Saucer size brown patches in lawn that maybe web worm moths.
Tie vines to trellises; stake tall bloomers (such as dahlias) before they topple.
Dig and divide crowded bulbs; allow to dry before replanting.
Bulbs and Flowers
- Plant warm weather annuals such as cosmos, globe amaranth, annual penstemon, portulaca, verbena, and zinnias.
- Plant heat tolerant perennials such as gaillardia, gentian, and rudbeckia. They will do well if properly watered until established.
Vegetables & Herbs
- Start seeds in greenhouse or cold frame for Brussels sprouts.
- Directly seed cucumbers, corn, green beans and melons.
- Transplant seedlings or purchased plants of sage, basil, tomatoes, pumpkins, squash, cucumbers, onions, celery, sweet potatoes, corn, beans and melons.
- Harvest onions. shallots, carrots, potatoes, chard, beets and early corn varieties
Trees & Shrubs
- Observe summer performance of trees and shrubs that are of interest prior to the Fall planting season.
New 2016 Edition "Gardener's Companion" Garden Journal on sale now! $18
Journal includes :
- Monthly Planting Guides
- Monthly Garden Checklist
- Vegetable Planting Guide
- Drought Tolerant Plants
- Guides to Growing
and much more for the Yolo County Gardener.
All sale proceeds support The UC Master Gardener's of Yolo County.
|Year-round Kitchen Gardening Class||6/25/2017|
|UCCE Master Gardeners Open Forum at the Davis Library||7/16/2017|