UC Master Gardeners of Napa County
The Master Gardener program is a volunteer organization associated with the University of California Cooperative Extension. Our mission is to extend research based knowledge on home horticulture, pest management, and sustainable landscape practices to the residents of California and to be guided by
our core values and strategic initiatives.
Master Gardener volunteers:
- are trained, non-paid teaching staff certified to extend practical horticultural information to Napa County residents.
- receive an intensive 88-hour training program over a 3-month period to become certified. Instruction provides a practical course in plant science and horticulture.
- stay up-to-date on current UC research gardening information through continuing education provided by the UC Cooperative Extension.
What we provide:
- Help Desk, free of charge, to answer home gardening questions.
- Integrated Grape Team of Napa County to assist hobby vineyardists with gardening questions.
- Information at public workshops, farmers markets and special events through talks and demonstrations to local groups.
- Home gardening information using gardening resources on this Web site.
- Need a speaker? Master Gardeners are available to speak to your group on a gardening topic.
Master Gardener Calendar
|2019 Master Gardener Informational Meeting - St. Helena||8/21/2018|
|2019 Master Gardener Informational Meeting - Napa||8/21/2018|
|Create Your Own Pollinator Garden- St. Helena Library||9/4/2018|
|Bulbs to Plant Now for Spring Bloom - Napa County Library||9/6/2018|
Weekly Newspaper Article
Added August 13, 2018
by Penny Pawl, U. C. Master Gardener of Napa County A couple of years ago, someone gave me a strawberry plant. I had never grown strawberries as I thought it was difficult. However, I was surprised...
Added August 10, 2018
By T. Eric Nightingale,. UC Master Gardener of Napa County Most people are familiar with proteas, the shrubs with exotic blossoms that are often the focal point of a bouquet. Proteas are...
Added July 22, 2018
By Iris Craig, U. C. Master Gardener of Napa County When I asked a friend how her garden was doing, she told me that the day after...
Added July 15, 2018
By Okhoo Hanes, U. C. Master Gardener of Napa County The olive tree (Olea europaea) is well suited to Napa Valley. The tree's Mediterranean origin makes it a natural fit for our sunny, arid...
Added July 6, 2018
By Okhoo Hanes, U. C. Master Gardener of Napa County The Big Island of Hawaii has captured media attention lately with the spectacular Kilauea volcano eruptions and magma flowing into the...
Added June 30, 2018
Few other vegetables are more representative of fall than pumpkins. Come October, mounds of pumpkins of various shapes and sizes are a common sight in Napa Valley. While they may seem to suddenly...
Added June 22, 2018
By T. Eric Nightingale, U.C. Master Gardener of Napa County Gardening and a love for nature is on the rise these days. Many people I know would like to garden more but believe they can't...