UC Master Gardeners of Napa County
The Master Gardener program is a volunteer organization associated with the University of California Cooperative Extension. Our mission is to extend research based knowledge on home horticulture, pest management, and sustainable landscape practices to the residents of California and to be guided by our core values and strategic initiatives.
Master Gardener volunteers:
- are trained, non-paid teaching staff certified to extend practical horticultural information to Napa County residents.
- receive an intensive 88-hour training program over a 3-month period to become certified. Instruction provides a practical course in plant science and horticulture.
- stay up-to-date on current UC research gardening information through continuing education provided by the UC Cooperative Extension.
What we provide:
- Help Desk, free of charge, to answer home gardening questions.
- Integrated Grape Team of Napa County to assist hobby vineyardists with gardening questions.
- Information at public workshops, farmers markets and special events through talks and demonstrations to local groups.
- Home gardening information using gardening resources on this Web site.
- Need a speaker? Master Gardeners are available to speak to your group on a gardening topic.
Friday, July 27, 2018
10:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon
UCCE Meeting Room, 1710 Soscol Ave., Napa
$5 per person, reservations preferred, seating is limited.
To register: http://ucanr.edu/2018foodpreserve
For questions call (707) 253-4221
Canning, freezing and drying are among the most basic food preserving methods. It is important to practice safe home preservation and processing methods and to stay current with the most reliable and trusted information about food safety. Master Food Preservers will discuss each process, the equipment required, hazards to avoid, and give demonstrations and recipes. The emphasis is on microbial food safety, but other subjects related to food including biotechnology, food quality and food security are also addressed. (Please SIGNUP Above.. In the "Upcoming Workshops" section of this website)
Master Gardener Calendar
|Guided Tree Walk - Yountville||7/20/2018|
|Freezing & Dehydrating-Napa-FREE||7/21/2018|
|Solving Your Tomato Problems-St Helena Libary||7/24/2018|
|Basic Food Preserving-Napa||7/27/2018|
Weekly Newspaper Article
Added July 15, 2018
By Okhoo Hanes, U. C. Master Gardener of Napa County The olive tree (Olea europaea) is well suited to Napa Valley. The tree's Mediterranean origin makes it a natural fit for our sunny, arid...
Added July 6, 2018
By Okhoo Hanes, U. C. Master Gardener of Napa County The Big Island of Hawaii has captured media attention lately with the spectacular Kilauea volcano eruptions and magma flowing into the...
Added June 30, 2018
Few other vegetables are more representative of fall than pumpkins. Come October, mounds of pumpkins of various shapes and sizes are a common sight in Napa Valley. While they may seem to suddenly...
Added June 22, 2018
By T. Eric Nightingale, U.C. Master Gardener of Napa County Gardening and a love for nature is on the rise these days. Many people I know would like to garden more but believe they can't...
Added June 18, 2018
When we look at a plant or tree, the bright foliage, tempting fruit or majestic stature might be the first thing we notice. But quietly humming along are the root systems that make all of these...
Added June 5, 2018
By Pat Hitchcock, UC Master Gardener of Napa County Napa County Master Gardeners recently had the opportunity to hear a wildlife specialist talk about managing vertebrate pests in gardens...
Added June 3, 2018
An Iris Primer, by Iris Craig My mother loved flowers: she named me Iris. Having a flower name has affected my life and perhaps led me to be a Master Gardener. When I purchased my house 40 years...