UC Master Gardeners of Napa County
UCCE Centennial: 100 Years of Science and Service
May 2014 will mark the 100th anniversary of the Smith-Lever Act, legislation that created Cooperative Extension, a nationwide system of community- based education, established as part of each state’s land grant university.
As part of the 100 year celebration, the University of California is conducting three science projects on May 8, 2014 and we need your help collecting data. Follow the link below to pick your project:
The Master Gardener program is a volunteer organization associated with the University of California Cooperative Extension. Our mission is to provide educational programs that meet Napa County gardeners' horticultural needs using research-based information.
What we provide:
- Help Desk, free of charge, to answer home gardening questions.
- Integrated Grape Team of Napa County to assist hobby vineyardists with gardening questions.
- Information at public workshops, farmers markets and special events through talks and demonstrations to local groups.
- Home gardening information using gardening resources on this Web site.
- Need a speaker? Master Gardeners are available to speak to your group on a gardening topic.
Master Gardener volunteers:
- are trained, non-paid teaching staff certified to extend practical horticultural information to Napa County residents.
- receive an intensive 88-hour training program over a 3-month period to become certified. Instruction provides a practical course in plant science and horticulture.
- stay up-to-date on current UC research gardening information through continuing education provided by the UC Cooperative Extension.
Master Gardener Calendar
|What's that Weed? workshop||4/24/2014|
|Mobile Help Desk-The Home Depot||4/26/2014|
|Mobile Help Desk-Silverado Ace Hardware||4/26/2014|
Spill the Beans
Added April 22, 2014
Perhaps you have experienced this scenario before: After carefully planting some seeds, gently watering and caring for the seeds, experiencing the joy at watching them germinate, then waking up the next morning to see that they have been chewed off...
Added April 7, 2014
The 2nd Annual Napa Master Gardener Tomato Sale is coming your way April 19, 2014. After you purchase your plants and take them home, consider where they are going to be planted. Ideally, you should follow a four-year rotation of your crops so that...
Added March 23, 2014
It's time for gardeners to prepare beds for planting. Before mounting your charge on the garden center, review a few things about soil and soil fertility. Soil fertility is so important to good vegetable growth that the two cannot be separated....