UC Master Gardeners of Napa County
The Master Gardener program is a volunteer organization associated with the University of California Cooperative Extension. Our mission is to extend research based knowledge on home horticulture, pest management, and sustainable landscape practices to the residents of California and to be guided by our core values and strategic initiatives.
At this time, we are no longer accepting applications for the 2018 UC Master Gardeners of Napa County Training Program
Information about 2019 class will be posted on this website in summer of 2018!
Master Gardener volunteers:
- are trained, non-paid teaching staff certified to extend practical horticultural information to Napa County residents.
- receive an intensive 88-hour training program over a 3-month period to become certified. Instruction provides a practical course in plant science and horticulture.
- stay up-to-date on current UC research gardening information through continuing education provided by the UC Cooperative Extension.
What we provide:
- Help Desk, free of charge, to answer home gardening questions.
- Integrated Grape Team of Napa County to assist hobby vineyardists with gardening questions.
- Information at public workshops, farmers markets and special events through talks and demonstrations to local groups.
- Home gardening information using gardening resources on this Web site.
- Need a speaker? Master Gardeners are available to speak to your group on a gardening topic.
Master Gardener Calendar
|Growing Culinary Herbs & Cocktail Garnishes - St. Helena||6/23/2018|
|Growing Culinary Herbs and Cocktails Garnishes -Yountville||6/24/2018|
|Tree Id Walk - Napa||7/2/2018|
|Growing Plants for Tisanes (Teas) - Napa County Library||7/5/2018|
Weekly Newspaper Article
Added June 18, 2018
When we look at a plant or tree, the bright foliage, tempting fruit or majestic stature might be the first thing we notice. But quietly humming along are the root systems that make all of these...
Added June 5, 2018
By Pat Hitchcock, UC Master Gardener of Napa County Napa County Master Gardeners recently had the opportunity to hear a wildlife specialist talk about managing vertebrate pests in gardens...
Added June 3, 2018
An Iris Primer, by Iris Craig My mother loved flowers: she named me Iris. Having a flower name has affected my life and perhaps led me to be a Master Gardener. When I purchased my house 40 years...
Added May 13, 2018
By T. Eric Nightingale, UC Master Gardener of Napa County I love California native plants. I also love to eat. Until recently I had not considered the possibility of an overlap between these...
Added May 7, 2018
Penny Pawl, U. C. Master Gardener of Napa County Worms are not native to North America. About 20,000 years ago, our continent experienced an Ice Age, along with Europe and Asia. The phenomenon...
Added May 6, 2018
By Cindy Watter, UC Master Gardener of Napa County About 25 years ago, my next-door neighbor brought home a half-dead tangle of a plant that she called a passionflower (Passiflora). She...
Added April 20, 2018
By Denise Seghesio Levine, U.C. Master Gardener of Napa...