The UC Master Gardeners are creating a demonstration garden at the new Martial Cottle Park. UC Master Gardeners Pamela Roper, Nancy Creveling, and Elizabeth Evans wrote an article introducing us as a partner to the Martial Cottle community.
The following appeared in the Spring 2016 Martial Cottle Park Volunteer Newsletter. You can also view the newsletter on the Martial Cottle Park website.
At Martial Cottle Park the UC Master Gardener Program is primarily focused on training and demonstration in the following areas:
• Establishment and care of residential/home gardens and orchards
• Creating and maintaining the 4 acres of garden, orchard, and growing grounds
• Adaptability of vegetable cultivars for Santa Clara Valley's home gardens.
• Working landscapes with low-water requirements and native plant species
• Training on the recycling of compost
So what does this all mean? In simple terms at the UC Master Gardener parcel you will learn how to:
• Grow your own food sustainably
• Water-wise garden during a drought
• Enrich your soil by composting
• Garden for wildlife
• Create and maintain your own home orchard