- Author: Thomas Getts
In the middle of January, the California Weed Science Society celebrated its 75th anniversary with a meeting in Monterey, California. We had a good number of attendees with nearly 550 people registering and attending our conference. There were lots of great presentations made during the sessions. As well as much good discussion in between the breaks, and around the bar.
We had an excellent showing of students who presented during the meeting. We had two undergraduate poster presentations, seven graduate poster presentations, and five graduate students competing in the oral section! Additionally, there were two graduate students who were the invited speakers for our breakout sessions and a handful of students who attended the conference but did not present.
Overall this was fantastic participation and representation.
Photo One: UC Davis Students. From left to right: Stephen Chang, Emily Chou, Liberty Galvin, Aaron Bercerra-Alvarez, Andres Contreras, Deniz Inci, Guelta Laguerre and Matthew Lombardi
Photo Two: Fresno State Students and CWSS Past president Professor Anil Shretha, From left to right: Robert Wilmont, Kelsey Galvan, Anil Shrestha, Kiera Searcy and Margaret Fernando
I would like to thank all of our students for attending, the judges who scored the competition, and all of the members of the society who engaged and listened to the students.
We look forward to learning about all of their hard work in weed science at next year's conference!
Undergraduate Student Poster:
- 1st place Kiera Searcy - Fresno State -Weed Control in Nursery Container Lathe House
Graduate Student Poster:
- 1st Place- Robert Willmott - Fresno State - Cover Crops used in conjunction with Strip Tilling to reduce Herbicide usage in Silage Corn
- 2nd Place- Deniz Inci - UC Davis - Cattail, Typha L., Control in Delta Rice with Florpyrauxifen-benzyl, Loyant® CA
- 3rd Place- Aaron Becerra-Alvarez - UC Davis -Spot treatment of clethodim for control weedy rice
Photo Three: Student Poster Winners. From left to right: Aaron Becerra-Alvarez (3rd), Robert Willmott (1st), Kiera Searcy (1st undergrad), and Deniz Inci (2nd)
Graduate Student Oral Session:
- 1st Place- Matthew Fatino - UC Davis - Evaluating in-season management strategies for branched broomrape control in California processing tomatoes.
- 2nd Place- Guelta Laguerre - UC Davis - Evaluation of weed control efficacy and crop safety of the new PPO-inhibiting herbicide, tiafenacil in California orchard cropping systems
- 3rd Place- Kelsey Galvan - Fresno State - Germination of Common Waterhemp (Amaranthus tuberculatas) Seeds as Influenced by Soil Environmental Factors and Tolerance to Common Post Emergence Herbicides and Soil Salinity.
Photo Four: Student Paper winners. From left to right: Kelsey Galvan (3rd) and Guelta Laguerre (2nd). Matthew Fatino (1st) not pictured as he presented virtually.