SIGN UP TODAY!
Date: September 23, 2020
Time: 8:30 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Zoom Meeting
Registration: Click here to register.
Registration fee: $9.23
What: UC Cooperative Extension will provide updates on applied research in alfalfa variety, irrigation, and pest management; sorghum and its use in dairy feeding; sugar beets and safflower as winter forages; and personal protective equipment in a time of Covid-19.
Who should attend: California alfalfa and forage growers, consultants and allied industry.
Continuing education units: Applied for California Department of Pesticide Regulation (DPR), Certified Crop Adviser (CCA), and Nitrogen Management credits
Full agenda: Click here for full agenda.
For more information, please contact:
- Julia Kalika, UC ANR Program Support Unit, (530) 750-1361, firstname.lastname@example.org, for registration logistics questions
- Michelle Leinfelder-Miles, email@example.com; Nick Clark, firstname.lastname@example.org; Joy Hollingsworth, email@example.com; or Anthony Fulford, firstname.lastname@example.org, for program content question
This event is open to the public. Our programs are open to all potential participants. If you require special accommodations, please contact Julia Kalika, UC ANR Program Support Unit, (530) 750-1361. The registration fee covers the technological costs of providing a virtual meeting. If the fee prevents your participation, please contact email@example.com for a fee waiver./h2>
UCANR California Rice Virtual Field Day
When: August 26, 2020, 1:00-3:00 PM
Where: Online Zoom Webinar
Host: Whitney Brim DeForest, UC ANR County Director, Sutter-Yuba Counties and CE Rice and Wild Rice Advisor
Objectives/goals: The UC Cooperative Extension and California Rice Research Station will update attendees in the areas of variety development, disease and arthropod management, weed control, weedy rice, and fertility.
The full agenda can be viewed here.
Who should attend: California rice growers, Pest Control Advisers, and others interested in California rice production systems.
Continuing education units: Applied for 1 CEU from the California Department of Pesticide Regulation (DPR) and applied for 1 CEU from Certified Crop Adviser (CCA)
- Russell Rasmussen, Associate Director, California Rice Experiment Station, California Cooperative Rice Research Foundation
- Bruce Linquist, CE Specialist, Dept. of Plant Sciences, UC Davis
- Kassim Al-Khatib, CE Specialist, Dept. of Plant Sciences, UC Davis
- Whitney Brim-DeForest, CE Rice and Wild Rice Advisor & County Director, Sutter-Yuba Counties
- Luis Espino, CE Rice Farming Systems Advisor & County Director, Butte County
- Ian Grettenberger, CE Assistant Specialist, Dept. of Entomology, UC Davis
- Michelle Leinfelder-Miles, CE Farm Advisor, San Joaquin County
Contacts for more information:
- Logistics and registration: Rachel Palmer, ANR Program Support Unit, (530) 750-1361
- Course content:Whitney Brim-DeForest, UC ANR County Director, Sutter-Yuba Counties and CE Rice and Wild Rice Advisor
This field day is open to the public. Please share broadly to those who may be interested in attending.
THIS EVENT WILL BE RECORDED FOR EDUCATIONAL OR PROMOTIONAL USE BY THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA. CONTACT THE ORGANIZERS OF THIS EVENT FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Happy New Year! We are entering "meeting season". The new year brings several opportunities for continuing education.
1. UC Cooperative Extension will host the SJC and Delta Field Crops Meeting on Friday, January 10, 2020 from 8:00am to 12:00pm. The meeting location is the Cabral Agricultural Center in Stockton (2101 E. Earhart Ave., Stockton, CA 95206). Please see this previous post for the agenda, or open the attachment below. We will offer continuing education credits for DPR licensing (2), CCA certification (3.5), and nitrogen management (1.5). Light refreshments will be provided.
2. UC Cooperative Extension will host five meetings for rice growers. The meeting details are as follows:
Richvale: Monday, Jan. 13, 8:30am, Evangelical Church, 5219 Church St., Richvale
Willows: Monday, Jan. 13, 1:30pm, Glenn Co. Office of Education, 311 South Villa Ave., Willows
Colusa: Tuesday, Jan. 14, 8:30am, Colusa Casino Resort, 3770 Hwy. 45, Colusa
Yuba City: Tuesday, Jan. 14, 1:30pm, Veterans Hall, 1425 Veterans Memorial Circle, Yuba City
Woodland: Wednesday, Jan. 15, 1:30pm, Norton Hall, 70 Cottonwood St., Woodland
Doors open at 8:00am, and meetings start at 8:30am at Richvale, Colusa, and Woodland. Doors open at 1:00pm, and meetings start at 1:30pm at Willows and Yuba City. DPR and CCA continuing education credits will be offered. For the program, please visit the UC Rice Blog.
3. San Joaquin County Farm Bureau and the Ag Commissioner's Office will host Spray Safe on January 27, 2020. The event takes place at the Cabral Agricultural Center in Stockton. Registration begins at 7:30am, with lunch concluding at 12:50pm. Please see the registration flyer and agenda here.
4. The California Chapter of the American Society of Agronomy will hold its annual Plant and Soil Conference on February 4-5 in Fresno, California. Program information and registration are available from the conference website. Session topics include nitrogen management, drip irrigation, and cover cropping, among others. DPR licensing, CCA certification, and nitrogen management continuing education credits will be offered.
UCCE farm advisors will be hosting local meetings for other crops, like tomatoes, almonds, and cherries. Please see our calendar for details.
UC Cooperative Extension will host the SJC and Delta Field Crops Meeting on Friday, January 10, 2020 from 8:00am to 12:00pm. The meeting location is the Cabral Agricultural Center in Stockton (2101 E. Earhart Ave., Stockton, CA 95206). Coffee and refreshments will be provided.
A printable version of the agenda is attached at the bottom of this post. The agenda is as follows:
8:15am Delta Rice Update: Armyworms, Herbicide Trial, Weedy Rice, Michelle Leinfelder-Miles, UCCE San Joaquin/Delta Counties
8:45am Regulatory Update, Tim Pelican, San Joaquin County Agricultural Commissioner
9:00am Alfalfa Weevil Insecticide Resistance, Madison Hendrick, UC Davis
9:15am Benefits of Alfalfa in Crop Rotations, Nicole Tautges, UC Davis
9:45am IPM in Organic Field and Vegetable Crop Production, Rachael Long, UCCE Yolo/Sacramento/Solano Counties
10:30am Observations and Pest Issues with CBD Hemp Experiments in California, Dan Putnam, UC Davis
11:00am Fertilizing Corn and Wheat with Manure: Research Results, Nick Clark, UCCE Fresno/Tulare/Kings Counties
11:30am Warm-Season Legume Cover Cropping in the Delta, Michelle Leinfelder-Miles, UCCE, San Joaquin/Delta Counties
12:00pm Evaluations and Adjourn
We have submitted applications for continuing education for pesticide licensing and certified crop advisors. We have also submitted an application for nitrogen management continuing education, which would help to satisfy growers' continuing education requirement for the Irrigated Lands Program. Applications are pending.
Our programs are open to all potential participants. If you require special accommodations, please contact UCCE San Joaquin County at 209-953-6100. I wish you a happy holiday season, and I hope to see you at the meeting in the new year.
10:00am Field corn variety evaluation – preliminary results: Michelle Leinfelder-Miles, UCCE
10:15am Variety traits for the Delta: Seed company representatives
10:30am In-Season Nitrogen Management in Wheat: Michelle Leinfelder-Miles and Sarah Light, UCCE
10:45am In-Season Nitrogen Management in Malting Barley: Taylor Nelson, UC Davis
11:00am Viewing of field corn plot