Welcome to the Agricultural Application Engineering (AgAppE) Laboratory of the University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources (UC ANR). AgAppE Lab is located at the Kearney Agricultural Research and Extension (KARE) Center in Parlier, CA. AgAppE is mandated to provide regional leadership in the area of agricultural engineering extension and applied research with a focus on spray application engineering. The primary goal of the lab is to promote best practices for safe, economical, and environmentally safe pesticide spray application for specialty crops including almond, pistachio, walnut, stone fruit, citrus, and grapes.
In line with its primary goal, AgAppE also:
- Conducts needs assessment of grower and applicator spray application equipment and practices.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of orchard spray application techniques/technologies.
- Develops new spray application techniques and technologies including real-time sensing, automation and control systems, and precision application equipment for precise and automated application of chemicals.
- Develops appropriate tools and resources for decision support and stewardship in spray application.
- Organizes and conducts timely and need-based training and technology transfer in agricultural application engineering related to specialty crops.
- Develops and disseminates science-based information for the clientele including growers, pest control advisers, spray technology industries, commodity groups, conservation/environmental groups and public agencies.