Preserve Meat and Fish
DRAFT for review only!
Meats and fish may be canned, dehydrated, hot smoked or frozen. Pressure canning is the only safe canning method for processing shelf stable low-acid food with a pH higher than 4.6. Low acid foods include:
- Vegetables (see link on the left for more on canning vegetables)
- Meats, poultry, seafood
- Legumes (beans)
- Mixtures that contain any of the above foods
Low acid foods like these require a temperature higher than boiling to destroy harmful microorganisms that cause botulism and food spoilage. A temperature of at least 240º F is needed. Pressure canners achieve this temperature.
Links below open in a new window:
- Using Pressure Canners
- Frequent questions:
- Let's Preserve Meat and Poultry
- Canning Meat and Fish
- Drying Jerky
- Making Sausage at Home (PDF)
- Smoking Fish at Home (PDF)