University of California
ANR Employees

Contracts & Grants: EH&S Compliance

Environmental Health & Safety Requirements

Environmental Health & Safety Requirements

If your project involves the use of pests, chemicals pesticides, fieldwork, animals, biosafety and/or humans you have the responsibility to assure your project meets environmental health and safety compliance guidelines. Questions regarding EH&S Requirements can be addressed to the ANR Risk and Safety Director.

Review your responsibilities

Please visit the links below to find compliance guidelines, training, and resources for projects common at ANR.


Human Subjects

For projects involving human subjects including investigation of behavioral, sociological, and nutritional studies; and images, questionnaires, interviews, and other procedures, Federal regulations and University policy require that a campus Institutional Review Board (IRB) review and approve all projects that involve human subjects before any human studies are begun.


Animal Subjects

All projects, teaching, or testing that involves the use of vertebrate animals must be approved by a campus Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) before the activities are performed. Animal projects at Hopland and Sierra Foothill Research and Extension Centers require approval by the REC-specific Animal Research Committee. The IACUC can assist PIs in compliance with all applicable federal, state, local, and institutional regulations regarding animal care and use. An approved Animal Care and Use Protocol must be in place before the project can be initiated.

Projects that encompass handling of or physical interaction with wild vertebrate animals, including amphibians, reptiles, fish, birds, and large and small mammals, require approval by a campus IACUC.

Visit EH&S's website for more information and the IACUC Determination of Need for Review form.


Quarantined and Regulated Pests

Projects and activities associated with exotic pests (including insects, pathogens, plants, etc.) often require a permit from the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) and/or U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). Import of pests, soil, or certain plant materials from out of state or out of country also requires a permit from CDFA and/or USDA.


Chemical and Pesticide Safety

As a PI working with chemicals or pesticides in a lab setting, you are responsible for adhering to the applicable policies and safe handling practices regarding the use of chemicals or pesticides in a lab or field setting.



A Biological Use Authorization (BUA) from a campus Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) is required for any project involving recombinant DNA or other biohazardous agents or materials. If the project includes animals, IACUC approval is also required, contingent on IBC approval project review and approval processes, and training requirements.



Field projects and outdoor activities shall be planned in a way that incorporates measures and controls intended to reduce adverse exposure to a variety of natural hazards and conditions, including heat illness, cold stress, animals, plants, terrain, weather, water, and fire.

Webmaster Email: