Dorina M. Espinoza PhD
5630 South Broadway
Eureka, CA 95503-6998
Del Norte County Office
Expanded Food Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP)
UC Master Food Preserver Program
University of California Cooperative Extension Humboldt/Del Norte - Youth, Families and Communities Advisor - 2012 to present
Humboldt County Department of Health and Human Services/Public Health Branch - Health Education Specialist II - Physical Activity and Nutrition Programs - 2007 to 2011
Humboldt State University - Lecturer: Department of Kinesiology and Recreation Administration; Program Evaluator: Department of Environmental Resources Engineering - 2003 to 2009
Sonoma State University, Lecturer: Department of Kinesiology - 2007
Michigan State University - Researcher: Primary and Assistant - Department of Kinesiology; Statistical Analyst: Institute for Children, Youth & Family; Supervisor/Teacher: Child Development Labs Motor Skills Program; Instructor, Graduate and Undergraduate: Dept of Kinesiology - 1992-2006
California Public Schools - Instructional Support: UC Berkeley Alliance for Collaborative Change in Education in School Systems (ACCESS); Mathematics Teacher: Los Angeles Unified School District - 1990-1992
National Association of Extension 4-H Youth Development Professionals
California 4-H Association
National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
California Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior
National Extension Diversity Award 2016 (USDA-NIFA-CE System & APLU)
Western Extension Leadership Development Participant 2016 (Western Extension Directors Association)
- Outstanding Research Distinguished Service Award
Presented by University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources, https://ucanr.edu/blogs/ANRReport/index.cfm?tagname=Distinguished%20Service%20Awards, 2018
- National Extenison Diversity Award
Presented by American Association for Public and Land-Grant Universities, https://nifa.usda.gov/announcement/extension-educators-receive-national-honors-excellence-and-diversity, 2016
SpecialtyPositive Youth Development, Nutrition Education, Food Preservation, Food Systems with a focus on emergency response
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Nutrition and Hunger in the Population
- Obesity Prevention
- Families, Youth, and Communities
- Human Development and Family Well-Being
- Sociological and Technological Change Affecting Individuals, Families, and Communities
- Youth Development
- Youth Development
- 4-H Program
- Healthy Families and Communities
- Iaccopucci, A.; Horowitz, M. (2021). University of California 4-H Statewide Epidemiology Project: Disease Detective. National Health Outreach Conference. virtual.
- Kok, CM; Espinoza, DM (2020). Identification of Priority Skill Areas for Volunteer Professional Development. Journal of Youth Development. 15:4, 51-67. http://jyd.pitt.edu/ojs/jyd/article/view/876
- Espinoza, D.; Nathaniel, K. (2020). Intercultural development: A path to diversity, equity and inclusion in California 4-H. Extension Leadership Conference sponsored by JCEP. virtual.
- Worker, S.; Espinoza, D. (2020). Lessons learned from cultivating youth scientists with Youth Participatory Action Research (YPAR). National Association of Extension 4-H Youth Development Professionals Conference. virtual.
- Worker, SM; Espinoza, DM (2020). Volunteer Outcomes and Impact: The Contributions and Consequences of Volunteering in 4-H. Journal of Youth Development. 15:4, 6-31. http://jyd.pitt.edu/ojs/jyd/article/view/847
- Moncloa, F; Horrillo, SJ (2019). Embracing Diversity and Inclusion: An Organizational Change Model to Increase Intercultural Competence. Journal of Extension. 57:6, n6. https://joe.org/joe/2019december/pdf/JOE_v57_6a1.pdf
- Moncloa, F; Horrillo, S (2018). Using a Translational Process to Apply Latino Youth Development Research Findings in Practice. Journal of Extension. 56:6. October. https://joe.org/joe/2018october/pdf/JOE_v56_6iw3.pdf
- Espinoza, D. (2021). The Do’s & Don’ts of Food Preservation: Safely preserve your harvest bounty to enjoy for months to come. Humboldt & Del Norte Community Food Guide.
- Horowitz, M.; Espinoza, D. (2021). UC 4-H increases staff capacity to address youth’s mental well-being, fostering community health and wellness. UC Delivers.
- Horowitz, M.; Iaccopucci, A. (2020). UC 4-H Disease Detectives become advocates for health and COVID-19. UC Delivers.
- Worker, S; Espinoza, D (2020). Volunteer Outcomes: The Consequences of Volunteering in a Youth Development Program. American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA (Conference Cancelled - Zoom Presentation). April. http://tinyurl.com/uo8xqr3
- Moncloa, F; Horrillo, S (2019). Intercultural Competence: A Strategy for Negotiating Differences to Engage Diverse Youth, Families and Communities. Diversity in Organizations, Communities and Nations International Conference. Patras, Greece.
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Developing Volunteer Capacities - Member
- Diversity in Youth Development - Member
- Native American Community Partnerships - Member