5009 Fairgrounds Road
Mariposa, CA 95338-9435
Dr. Fadzayi Mashiri is Director of UCCE in Mariposa County and Livestock and Natural Advisor in Mariposa and Merced Counties. As County Director Fadzayi provides oversight, support, and direction for all UCCE county research and outreach programs; liaises and strengthens relationships among county administration, stakeholders, and UCANR leadership and staff; and grows and manages the budget.
In her role as Livestock and Natural Resources Advisor, Fadzayi conducts research and extends evidence-based production and best management practices to increase economic viability for livestock producers, while promoting sustainable management of natural resources. Her work focuses on rangeland ecology, impacts of rangeland conversion, weed management, improving understanding, and enhancing ecosystem services provided by working rangelands and fire risk reduction using grazing and prescribed fire.
Before joining UC ANR Fadzayi was a Senior Research Specialist at the University of Arizona working on adaptive grazing management focused on developing sustainable grazing systems. Before that, she worked in Zimbabwe as a lecturer and chairperson of the department of Livestock and Wildlife Management at the Midlands State University and as a Senior Agricultural Extension Officer for the Agriculture Extension Services. Her work as Extension Officer started her interest in extension and participatory approaches.
SpecialtyRangeland Ecology and Management, Management of Natural Resources, Livestock Management, Weed Management, Grazing Management, Ecosystem Services
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Poultry - General
- Beef Cattle / Beef / Other Cattle Prod
- Pasture, Dryland and Seeded
- Natural Resc and Commodities - General
- Wetland and Riparian Systems
- Animal Management Systems
- Natural Resources and Environment
- Management of Range Resources
- Natural Resources, General
- Sustainable Natural Ecosystems
- Sustainable Food Systems
- Baldwin, R. A. (2022). Estimating reduction in standing crop biomass from California ground squirrels in central California rangelands. Rangeland Ecology and Management. 83, 50-58.
- K, Siegel; Macauley, L.; Shapero, M.; Becchetti, T.; Larson, S.; Mashiri, F. E.; Waks, L.; Butsic, V. (2022). Impacts of livestock grazing on the probability of burning in wildfires vary by region and vegetation type in California. Journal of Environmental Management. 322, 116092. Nov 15.
- N., Buckley Biggs; J., Hafner; F.E., Mashiri; L., Huntsinger; E., Lambin (2021). Payments for ecosystem services within the hybrid governance model: evaluating policy alignment and complementarity on California rangelands. Ecology and Society. 1:26, 19.
- Shapero, M.W.K.; Huntsinger, L.; Becchetti, T.A.; Mashiri, F.E.; James, J.J. (2018). Land manager perceptions of the opportunities and constraints of using livestock to manage invasive plants. Rangeland Ecology and Management. Rangeland Ecology and Management. 71, 603-611.
- Rinella, M. J.; Davy, J. S.; Kyser, G. B.; Mashiri, F. E.; James, J. J.; Peterson, and V. F. (2018). Timing Aminopyralid Applications to Constrain Medusahead (Taeniatherum caput-medusae (L.) Nevski) Seed Production Controls the Invader and Increases Forage Grasses. Invasive Plant Science and Management. Invasive Plant Sciences Management. 11, 61-68.
- D. K. Macon, S. Barry (2016). Coping With Drought on California Rangelands. Rangelands. 38, 222-228.
- Mashiri, Fadzayi E.; McClaran, Mitchel P.; Fehmi, and Jeffrey S. (2008). Short-and Long-Term Vegetation Change Related to Grazing Systems, Precipitation, and Mesquite Cover. Rangeland Ecology and Management. 61:4, 368–379.
- Fadzayi Mashiri, Laurent Ahiablame (2023). Rangeland Conversion Drivers and Impacts of Post-Conversion Management Strategies on Landscape Level Ecosystem Health. Boise, ID, Society for Range Management Conference. 297.
- Fadzayi Mashiri, James Bartolome (2022). Quantifying the Effects of Rangeland Conversion to Orchards on Species Diversity. Society for Range Management Conference. 366.
- Fadzayi Mashiri, Christopher Swarth (2019). Mapping Residual Dry Matter: Evaluating Grazing Patterns and Compliance with Vernal Pool Easement Mitigation Goals. 201.
- Fadzayi Mashiri, Theresa Becchetti (2019). Rangeland Improvement: Evaluating the Productivity of Clover Varieties Across Diverse California Rangelands. Minneapolis, MN, Society for Range Management Conference. 259.
- Fadzayi E. Mashiri, Stephanie R. Larson (2017). Organized Marketing of Niche Livestock Products may Improve Production Viability. St George, UT, Society for Range Management Conference. 113.
- Mashiri, Fadzayi (2015). Fast and easy rangeland monitoring using repeat photography. UC ANR Green Blog.
- Mashiri, Fadzayi (2015). Low residual dry matter on rangeland a concern heading into wet season. UC ANR Green Blog.
- Mashiri, Fadzayi (2014). Looking ahead: Post drought rangeland management. Green Blog. September 3. http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=15184
- Mashiri, Fadzayi * Hutchinson Barbara * Ruyle George (2011). "International Outreach." from http://globalrangelands.org/international-outreach.
- Fadzayi Mashiri, Michel McClaran (2003). Challenges in establishing sustainable stocking rate in the drier common property rangelands of Zimbabwe. African Journal of Range and Forage Science. VIIth International Rangeland Congress. 20, 139. July, 26 – August 1, 2003.
- Mashiri, Fadzayi (1999). Farming Systems and Food Security in Low Rainfall Communal Areas of Zimbabwe. The Case of Zvishavane District, Midlands Province.N. Shanmugaratnum. 110.
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Beef Safety and Quality Assurance - Member
- Fire - Member
- Livestock Production Systems - Member
- Oak Woodland Conservation - Member